Thistleblooms Rambles

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lovely australorp. They are so pretty.

The guy I bought them from called her a Purple Majesty Marans. A new variation of Marans apparently. But I picked her because she reminded me of my 10 year old Australorp that died a few weeks ago.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
The guy I bought them from called her a Purple Majesty Marans. A new variation of Marans apparently. But I picked her because she reminded me of my 10 year old Australorp that died a few weeks ago.

Hmmm. Looked it up and seems like she might be a Midnight Majesty?
At any rate whoever she is, she's a pretty hen and her feathers have a purply iridescence in the sun.

Or maybe she's a regular Australorp. I don't really care as long as she's a healthy egg layer.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Does she have feathered legs? She should if she is a Marans.
Found this on BYC with Google
"Looks like the Midnight Majesty Marans are Black Copper Marans that have been selectively bred for dark eggs, large, eggs, and many eggs."

Looks like you might have quite the colorful egg basket there.

This phone typing and reading is not so enjoyable.
I've done that and you are right. Reading isn't as easy and typing a post is very laborious. No way to type with 10 fingers on a phone!

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like you might have quite the colorful egg basket there.

That would be fun, but I'm happy as long as there's eggs in it. :)
I did deliberately pick 5 different breeds. It's just easier to remember their names, haha. Not like they care that they have names, but it gives me something to yell when they escape.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is from Country Max hatchery (or Countrymax, I dunno...)

"Midnight Majesty Marans Chickens has black plumage and most hatch with feathered feet, but some do not. Deep browns show up through their down feathering underneath, making them a mix of beautiful dark brown and black plumage."

I think she has shaved recently. I'm just gonna call her an Australorp, haha.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Until you see her eggs! If they are dark brown, she isn't an Australorp.

I have a variety of breeds as well and it helps a lot in knowing who is laying (only SIX today from 16 that I expect to be laying, lazy things) and figure out who is missing when I do the coop close up beak count. Last night it was Gretel, she's gone broody AGAIN! 13 months old and she's gone broody twice already this year. Based on history with other girls she'll keep it up annually as long as she is laying. :he

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bruce, have you ever considered letting a broody hatch out some chicks?
I'd keep a rooster and do that if I had more space, but letting them free range all day doesn't work here with all the dense woods and predators lurking. And dh isn't crazy about 3 a.m. crowing. Silly man.