Thistleblooms Rambles

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Me either -- don't want any. Normally we don't get that until Jan/Feb. @farmerjan may get some a little earlier, as she's a couple hundred miles NW of me and higher elevation...but Jan/Feb is our traditionally worst weather. Being coastal, I do get a little less of cold & snow. Don't want more. I have my heated tubs at the ready but not time to set them up for a while. Last year didn't need and had to break ice a little, added hot water. Only one week of "daily" as I remember. Griped and moaned the whole time. At least hearing and seeing others doing for weeks & months brings me reality.

The worst of the heated tubs -- cost of electric to run them. Got to find those temp cubes for plug in....or buy new. They do help. Often I can just run the tubs at night. Tried to buy some of the timers like you see for holiday lights....most don't work for what I want. Hmmm, need to make a couple new boxes to set over/surround those tubs. Helps block wind, thus the cold temps.

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
She needs to do something, she's getting a little squirrely with this cold weather, and sitting for a week.

Hmmm.... That seems to describe me. Maybe my wife needs to ride me for awhile...

The pictures of snow really are beautiful. Please help me remember -- do you or your DH have to drive somewhere every weekday (such as an outside job), or are you both work-from-home types? (You may not want to answer that due to security reasons -- "Yeah I reside at 123 Timber Lane and I am gone from my house from 6 AM to 5 PM every weekday." essentially inviting burglars to pay a visit.) The reason I am asking is to understand how much you have to drive in snowy / icy weather.

I have my heated tubs at the ready but not time to set them up for a while.

Miss @Mini Horses, when I first read this I thought you were talking about a hot tub for yourself, but now I think you are talking about heated watering troughs for your animals. Is that right?

Senile Texas Aggie

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Please help me remember -- do you or your DH have to drive somewhere every weekday (such as an outside job

We are both self employed so work days vary. Since I am a gardener by profession I have winters off. Not much going on in the landscape when everything is frozen. I do make checks on my jobs and spray deer repellent
when needed, but winter is my off season. And it's a good thing because some years moving snow is almost a full time job at home. This year will be much more relaxed since we have the hay barn and new shop so no snow removal off vehicles or hay tarps. This new development makes me giddy!

Winter is off with a bang though. It was 16 degrees F this morning and the wind was howling out of the north last night. Yesterdays snow was moist, perfect snowman making snow, but it froze to the trees so even the wind didn't knock it off. We got 5 or 6". All the deciduous trees still have their leaves so we will probably get some broken branches from all that weight.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes it is! But as you say Bay, heat is better than the frigid snowy conditions up here in the frozen wasteland. I'm handing out your cards and sending everyone to the sunny south! 🤣
But Idaho has so much more to offer! Snowman! Snow Angels! Snowball fights! Ski slopes! Cool summers (compared to Texas summers) Beautiful scenery! And lets not forget a cup of hot chocolate in front of a fireplace, nice and toasty warm!

On the other hand, Texas heat is great practice if you've been bad in life and expect to go to He!! :yesss:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
but now I think you are talking about heated watering troughs for your animals. Is that right?

Yes, that is correct -- water tubs with built in heaters to keep water from freezing. The temp cubes I mentioned are thermostatic and go between power source plug and the plug on the heated tub. So, it disrupts electric unless air temps go to certain low, goes back off if air temps rise. But with a timer, I can specify 8PM to 5AM -- etc. Too warm and they don't want to drink it, so thermostatic works well outside.

Ahhhh, but, I had a hot tub for many years. Not now, sure would like to soak in one sometimes! Don't think I haven't considered on of these tubs. 😁 But they don't get to temps I like.