Time to make Cheese

hilarie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thought I'd throw my nickel's worth in, since it's about *cheese* - my favorite subject :)
I agree, chevre is da bomb, and it's easy to make, and you can flavor it with ANYthing - herbs, garlic&pepper, chipotle honey, etc. I have full size dairy goats and I'm milking 3 right now, so I'm basically swimming in milk and making cheese every day to keep from doing the backstroke in it. I also don't pasteurize my milk; I think it tastes better and is better for me IF it's handled right to use it raw. I milk into a tank with refreezable ice bricks in it so the milk is instantly chilled and cold enough to drink when it goes into the house. Then it's decanted into sanitized half gallon glass jars and refrigerated at 38 degrees until it's made into cheese - and that's rarely more than a day or two. I figure it isn't pasteurized, and the process of making chevre doesn't heat it up much (86 degrees), so the sooner it's used, the better. I don't like to let it sit for long even in the fridge, even in a sterile jar; it ain't a sterile world, and I treat raw milk with respect. Cheeses where you acidify, like mozzarella, I feel a little easier about; or where the temperature is raised pretty high, like ricotta (to 190 deg.) are also less iffy. I do envy you that Nigerian milk, though - so rich and yummy! :drool

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I guess everyone has cheese on the mind. :) I can't wait to try some new cheeses this year.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have been giving our whey to friends that are raising feeder pigs.
I would like to be able to use the whey especially once those pigs go to slaughter.
Since we just made Mozzarella 2 days ago and this am Chevre I decided to try the Ricotta made from the whey.

Has anyone tried this yet?

I am hoping to make stuffed shells if it comes out ok. :fl

If anyone has which recipe did you follow?

Edited to add just looked up Manicotti... hmmm I can use my Mozz and Ricotta :drool

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
No but I am reading a book called Goats Produce Too! by Mary Jane Toth that has multiple recipes.

Still have to try making Chevre....but my kids drink the milk too fast ;)

Found a simple recipe for making Cottage Cheese, may try that- it uses whole goat milk and cultured buttermilk.

when you leave the mixture sit at room temperature -do you cover it with anything to keep it clean or does it need to stay uncovered.