Tre3hugger's Rabbit Thread

Tre3hugger

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sad morning here at Cuckoo Mountain. Crewella gave birth to her first litter last night on the wire. I found 4 cold dead babies this morning when I went to feed her. Her nesting box had a burrow dug in it, but no hair that I could see from pulling. It was such a pain to get her bred and I was really hoping to hold back a daughter form this group to replace her as a breeder. Oh well, we make plans, the animals laugh.

Tomorrow was the day to rebreed Maple, so I will give Crewella today to rest and then breed them both tomorrow. Only silver lining I can find is now my breeding schedule is lined up for both does.

I have read that rebreeding right after the lost litter is optimal, and can result in heightened receptiveness and larger litters on the next kindling. Can anyone offer any insight on this? When would you rebreed her?

I know this is just a part of the game. Life and Death. Yesterday I watched 5 guinea keets tumble out of their eggs and look at the world for the first time. Today it is 4 dead kits on the wire. The cycle continues, and I am grateful to be a part of it, on the good AND bad days.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm so sorry she lost the kits. First time moms usually make mistakes and lose kits. Next time should be better. If you are worried about a potential repeat of the same, you could cover the whole floor with nesting material, so they would stand a better chance if she has them out of the box.

Yes, she should be rebred right away and should have decently high fertility right after kindling.

Tre3hugger

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you so much. It is a tough blow but I understand it is a thing for first timers. I got really lucky with Maple (first timer, 10 kits) last month so at least I got to enjoy some baby rabbits already.

I will rebreed her tomorrow, and Maple too. This way I have fostering options etc. I appreciate your insight.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you so much. It is a tough blow but I understand it is a thing for first timers. I got really lucky with Maple (first timer, 10 kits) last month so at least I got to enjoy some baby rabbits already.

I will rebreed her tomorrow, and Maple too. This way I have fostering options etc. I appreciate your insight.
I definitely recommend breeding in pairs of you are able, having the foster option just makes it a little less stressful. And with your rabbits coloring, it should be easy to tell the parentage without having to mark the kits somehow. Doesn't matter as much if you are going to eat them all, but it can matter if you are trying to track for pedigrees.

Tre3hugger

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just got both does rebred. Hopefully Maple continues to excel and Crewella figures it out. I think this will be her last chance before I start looking to replace her. Maple's kits are three weeks tomorrow. I found one out of the nest box today, so I tipped the box on its side so the kits could come and go from it as they please. Maple can escape them if she wants by climbing on top of it. One more week and I will start slowly removing the kits.

Tre3hugger

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Bah bah buh bah bah buh bah bahhhhhh! I am official! :bunny :bunny :bunny :bunny :bunny :bunny :bunny :bunny :cool:
20210315_180759.jpg

Tre3hugger

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Maple's kits are four weeks old today. The nine kits weigh a combined 8 pounds. That is 14.2 oz each. On monday I am going to get their grow out cage furnished and start separating the largest ones. They all have learned the sounds of breakfast and are eating hay and pellets.

20210522_184338.jpg

20210522_184237.jpg

Latest posts