Treating mange in sheep?

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Uhh I realize that this lamb that torched Dutch had those symptom for mange. I hope Dutch doesn’t get it. I sprayed with ring out today and rubbed it into his ears and dock area. I’ll be deworming him tomorrow hopefully.

I was using Dutch as a guide sheep for this little lamb that didn’t understand a halter yet. I think Dutch actually thought that lamb how to walk in a halter lol. By the time I went back to my area he was walking fine. But the lambs eyes were all crusty like a old dirty dog, the ears had scabs on the inside. And the dock was scary, swollen and and red with black scabs. Idk how he got into the show let alone allowed in the ring.

Any preventative measures anything like this at a show?
Were the eye crusty like yellowish stuff or actually had lost skin around them do you have pictures of it

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
In case there is anyone looking for treatment or wondering about Barbara this stuff https://www.showcoat.com/product-page/terminator and lots of praying worked for me. I was told to STRICTLY FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS and Barbara's ears and around her eyes seem fine now and some hair has even grown on them. A ewe Holly that I was showing got it to and I treated her with it and her ears are nice and fluffy now you can't tell she had it. I think my lamb breeder uses the injectable ivermectin and maybe dectomax to treat hers so I was going to ask her if I remember. I'm pretty sure I gave the lambs Dectomax to before/while I was treating them with Terminator so maybe it helped to idk. And Barbara had twin ewes (her second time lambing) named Brownie and Lyla!

Also for anyone doing the terminator- I sprayed the whole sheep with it like every inch and also down in the ears and in between legs, and the sheep were sheared first. After I shear now to I spray them with it. You can spray it on and not wash it out and it won't bother them, after I shear and spray it I leave it on but Barbara and Holly I would wet down spray it scrub it in and rinse after it set for at least 10 minutes. But now I'm doing another ewe that I think has the mites or mange or whatever it is and not washing it out and I think it's working. I'm also not getting her wet I just spray it on dry and for anyone showing lambs you can spray it on after a show to

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mange is caused by invisible mites that burrow under the skin. The hair comes out in that area and the skin gets red and crusty looking. If you remove the crusts the skin will ooze. It does cause the host to feel itchy and to scratch so if she started to clear up and then was scratching on the same posts she used when she had it, she could have contaminated herself again. Mange does not clear itself up, you have to treat it to destroy the mites. Using oil for a temporary solution probably smothered some of the mites and that is why it looked like it was getting better for a while. Glad you used Ivermectin and Terminator to clean it up.

However, the swelling of the face, ears, and rump sound more like an allergic reaction. Glad they are all doing better.