Triple trouble!!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Busty is doing pretty good....we still need to ‘help out’. Is it possible for a doe to just make too much milk? They will snack a bit when we put them on, but, the reason we’ve done it twice,is because her udder is just sooo big! And, it looks like, when I watch her then, that she does push them away. So, I’m pretty sure they are nursing on their own, because they are full of spunk, and they are not terribly hungry when we have helped them twice since the issue. But she still fills up like a giant balloon! Is that just typical of her type? She is not full blood ND...she is probably 1/2 ‘planer’ is what I was tiold based on her airplane ears. I just love them...:). But, I have another doe, her kid is about a month Or so, we just bought her before ours were all born. They are full ND...her udder is not big at all and she is a fat kid!! :). perhaps I’m just so new I have no clue what to expect? :)

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Her udder will eventually adjust the supply to the demand. Therefore, it's important that the kids nurse regularly. If they are only nursing intermittently her supply may drop too low to keep up with them. Then you have a whole different problem. Goats! :)

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Her udder will eventually adjust the supply to the demand. Therefore, it's important that the kids nurse regularly. If they are only nursing intermittently her supply may drop too low to keep up with them. Then you have a whole different problem. Goats! :)
So, do I keep putting them up to her, or let them go to her?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tonight her udder was pretty full again. I milked her just a tad. Put two kids up, they sipped a bit. The smallest baby had a good pot. He’s a shy drinker. But they are very spunky. Definitely growing....she definitely came by her name ‘Busty’, honestly. :lol: Poor girl

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, do I keep putting them up to her, or let them go to her?
Preferably let them decide to go to her IF she's letting them nurse. Do you have a way to weigh the kids? If they're gaining weight, that would be a good sign they're getting plenty to eat and you can stop worrying so much! If she's letting them nurse and they're gaining weight I would try not to milk her (unless you want the milk for yourself). At that point, if you're milking her you're contributing to the problem of her making more milk, lol. Goats are fun, huh?!

sfgwife

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Busty is doing pretty good....we still need to ‘help out’. Is it possible for a doe to just make too much milk? They will snack a bit when we put them on, but, the reason we’ve done it twice,is because her udder is just sooo big! And, it looks like, when I watch her then, that she does push them away. So, I’m pretty sure they are nursing on their own, because they are full of spunk, and they are not terribly hungry when we have helped them twice since the issue. But she still fills up like a giant balloon! Is that just typical of her type? She is not full blood ND...she is probably 1/2 ‘planer’ is what I was tiold based on her airplane ears. I just love them...:). But, I have another doe, her kid is about a month Or so, we just bought her before ours were all born. They are full ND...her udder is not big at all and she is a fat kid!! :). perhaps I’m just so new I have no clue what to expect? :)

Milk her out almost completely then put the kids on her. If she is making so much milk milk her once a day. Some does just have to be milked while they have kids on them. If she is temder she will not let them nurse. Weight each kids and make sure they are growing daily.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Preferably let them decide to go to her IF she's letting them nurse. Do you have a way to weigh the kids? If they're gaining weight, that would be a good sign they're getting plenty to eat and you can stop worrying so much! If she's letting them nurse and they're gaining weight I would try not to milk her (unless you want the milk for yourself). At that point, if you're milking her you're contributing to the problem of her making more milk, lol. Goats are fun, huh?!
I have a scale. I haven’t been weighing them this week, so that I don’t obsess...since I think we all know how I can be...:lol: I’ll weigh them...I don’t need the milk, and I’d really prefer she handle it herself. I have enough work to do. :). Goats are a blast! But, they are wayyy more complex than anyone knows!! :). Bad lighting on the pictures, but this was last night, after I took down some pressure, and the kids played around. holy cow! :)
F4065468-24A3-41FD-B9A1-1C9DCCC95FE0.jpeg
9A669163-8620-4FF3-AF13-87E5AEDF5955.jpeg

Attachments

• DE5F6C67-6D30-4C5A-93D8-0CC5A14D8E71.jpeg
    DE5F6C67-6D30-4C5A-93D8-0CC5A14D8E71.jpeg
    220.5 KB · Views: 184

Latest posts