Trouble bottle feeding

Rosetta

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a new baby goat, she's a board/Nubian cross, and she's about two weeks old. (Her name's Rosetta) I tried bottle feeding her for the first time, (I know it doesn't always work the first the first time) and she would only take it from the side of her mouth. She wouldn't suck it, just chew. When she chewed, she also grinded her teeth. I know they're not supposed to grind their teeth. Do you guys have any idea what's going on? What can I do differently?

Thanks!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just to clarify- the goat was dam raised for 2 weeks and now getting put on a bottle?
Why is she not on the dam still? IOW why switch to the bottle?

Rosetta

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She was sold to me as a bottle baby, without the mother.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
They sold you a bottle baby that was never raised on the bottle?

:duc:duc:duc

So sorry you are now responsible for trying to get a 2 week old kid trained. That was irresponsible of them!

So- to help you :):):) What milk are you feeding?
Sudden change will be difficult because it tastes different.
Second, what nipple are you using?
A picture would be useful if you can post one.

You may need to try different nipples. You also want the milk to be very warm 100 degrees F.
Sometimes stroking down the nose will cause them to open up their mouth.
You may need to hover over them and almost shield their eyes, think like a momma goat.
Sometimes you need to put the nipple in and keep your hand around their mouth gently, do not squeeze the bottle or squirt it in.
Some put Karo syrup on the tip of the nipple... we never have.
If the kid is weak you will need to get some nutridrench and syringe a few ml's into his mouth.
If they are low on sugars they become lethargic and don't want to eat.
Make sure he is not cold! Put your finger in his mouth, if cold you must get temperature (body) up before you feed.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can't believe the number of people that are sold bottle babies that have never been on a bottle. It infuriates me. I had to get a three week on a bottle once as the dam had died and it took me three days of fussing with him before he gave in. I thought that he was going to die before he would eat.

Rosetta

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you guys! We were told that she was being bottle feed, but it was obvious it was her first time. To answer your questions, we're feeding her a goat powder formula that you mix with water. There should be a picture of the nipple attached. Do you have any idea why she was grinding her teeth? Is there another problem I'm not aware of?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190123-201422~2.png
    Screenshot_20190123-201422~2.png
    91 KB · Views: 147

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello Rosetta, welcome to BYH, SO sorry about your dishonest goat seller :barnie we all get upset when we see this happen. SBC is the go too answer gal and if you follow her suggestions you should do fine...wishing you and your little goat the best :love

Latest posts