1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Update on our 4 piggies - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Washing sheep

Discussion in 'Natural and Organic Husbandry' started by ranchwithaview, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Sep 4, 2019
    Sheepshape

Sheepshape Herd Master

Mine are wool sheep and I don't wash them. The lanolin on their coats keeps them relatively waterproof, so is best left.

If they were being shown (something I rarely do), then I'd consider cleaning them up. I also wash their rear ends if they scour badly and are caked up, especially in blow fly season. If they are really badly affected and have 'dags', then I cut off the dags and then clean them up.....not the most glamorous of pastimes, but really needs to be done in the hot weather (in addition to spraying with long-acting insecticides).

A good downpour usually sorts out the general mud, dust and other nasties that they may have lain in.

In spite of never being washed they actually smell quite pleasant (unless they have scours!). Well, the ewes do, whereas the rams are beginning to get really stinky at this time of year......but that's ram smell!

Ridgetop and Beekissed like this.
  2. Sep 5, 2019
    Ridgetop

Ridgetop True BYH Addict

Are your sheep hair sheep or wool sheep? If they are hair sheep their wool will start growing in about now for winter. They will shed out the dirty wool in the spring. If they are wool sheep, you will shear them in the spring and get rid of the dirty wool then. Unless they are excessively sticky - to the point that dirt, leaves and sticks are sticking to their wool or hair, don't bother washing them.

On the other hand, if you have to wash them for some reason, dishwashing liquid is what you should use. It cuts the grease (lanolin) in the wool and gets them very clean. Be sure to rinse many times to get out all the soap. Then, tie them up short till they are dry to avoid having them roll while wet. Advice from a 4-H mom who has watched her children wash their show sheep several times because they got loose and rolled in the dirt while still wet!
    :lol: Funny now but then - :barnie

Baymule likes this.