We did it...

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Alright, I said before she had quite a few ticks which I removed. Now she has some places that look like sores. She’s determined to lay in the mulch and has flies and gnats hovering around. My instinct is to make her stay in the house until those places have healed. I’ve seen what happens with a skin infection and flies—- maggots and it’s disgusting.

What are y’all’s thoughts? 2nd, she won’t follow us when we call or come to us. At this point we have had to carry her, she’s already 60lbs or pull her with a leash. Again what is the recommendation? Thanks in advance.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Awwww what a sweet looking little girl! Am so glad she's out of her past hell hole and with caring folks! Give her time and loads of patience. She's most likely not house trained so keeping her inside might prove challenging for her and you both. She should be fine outside and you can get some spray for her sores. She's in a completely new and overwhelming situation right now. I'd take some time to just go out and sit with her. Take a book and maybe a few treats for her. When she comes to you, praise her and give attention. Don't give her a treat every time as you don't want her food motivated. Let her explore and get used to her new place and people.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
#1- she officially counts as a rescue! She’s beyond lucky to have you!
#2- you can do this! Like LS mentioned, some treats are fine but you don’t want every positive experience based on food. Talk to her. Keep your tone even or even excited when you first see her. Praise her beyond measure verbally and with pets when she comes to you the first time when called. She will. I’ll be surprised if she doesn’t in a day or two.

As far as making friends, hang out near her. Find her favorite spots to be petted. My LGDs have always liked ears and “tail head.” I wouldn’t push belly yet as that’s bordering on making her submit to you and that’s a whole other thing that isn’t relevant at this time. Mine also love hugs.

#3-fly repellant works well to keep the bugs away. I’d put something over the wounds like MiniHorses mentioned then give her a light covering of fly spray.

-remember that removing the ticks may have been uncomfortable and even scary for her. She has to learn that every little thing you introduce doesn’t inflict pain. Try to have positive experiences. Go out to pet her for a few minutes, praise her, return to the house to (ex. Switch the laundry...), go back out for a few minutes to pet her, praise her, repeat. This will help her learn that every encounter doesn’t have a threatening catch. It’s been a big day for her!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so excited for you! She is beautiful! I am in love! The second picture, that shows her face, reminds me of a Cheetah.

upload_2018-6-2_21-3-48.jpeg

So I looked up the Swahili word for Cheetah and it is Duma.

I am submitting my name for your lovely girl and it is Duma. She may not look like it now, but she will be tall, lanky, graceful like a cat and the surprising speed of a Cheetah. Duma.

You have received some good advice for her and I have nothing to add, other than patience, build trust and love her. What a awful place she was in, she might not know it yet, but she just found Heaven.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I put her in a downstairs bathroom tonight because we had plans and I didn't want her outside just in case she decided I can jump that fence or something. When we got home, we took everyone outside. I put her on the leash and she did pretty good, She followed me around. She even gave me a kiss. I don't know if that is allowed in LGD world but it is part of my world with my dogs. I couldn't believe it. I brought her back inside to the downstairs bathroom. I didn't make her do the scary stairs again. Gave her some food and will take her out again. She hasn't pooped since we got her. Hope she will before we all go to bed.