We did it...

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
She’s making strides, it’ll just take time.

As far as containment, that’s completely up to you. I would recommend starting her out how she’s meant to be. Most likely the bathroom didn’t feel like what she’s used to so she moved to someplace that was more like a den. If it was me, I’d get a chainlink dog kennel or build some type of enclosure for her and keep her outside but safe. We use one of our goat pens until ours are old enough to defend themselves and behave appropriately without constant supervision.

I think you are doing the right thing about making sure she gets used to the chickens without complete freedom. I’d gradually work toward her being off leash and knowing that’s the routine. She’s bound to be excessively smart and she will quickly learn what you want her to do. (More like what she thinks you want her to do!)

Definitely praise her when she does something right. These dogs don’t take much correction and get their feelings hurt easily. A simple “aah-aah” in an irritated tone is usually enough to get their attention. If warranted, a sharp “no.” You can move away from something using her collar if you prefer also. She’s reading your every move and wants to be your partner. Show her how to be. She CANNOT be allowed to get away with things just because she’s learning. This will allow her to develop unwanted behaviors that she may be very difficult to correctly relearn later. Remember that she’s going to be 100-150 pounds easily of independent thinking, strong, protective dog. Do it right the first time (the best you can anyway.) ;)

It sounds like you really are doing a great job with her. She’s learning to trust you and will get more comfortable. Love the pics. Keep us posted and keep the questions coming. One of us will answer the best we can.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Wehner!! Having her inside doesn't make sense because that isn't where we intend her to sleep long term. Until we get something better, would an extra large dog crate work? We have one that we've used in the past with our other dogs. Would you put this in the chicken yard so she also learns that is eventually where she will be spending most of her time. Currently she hangs out in the actual backyard. Also, should I put something of mine in it with her so she can still smell me?

I get the partner thing. Sometimes when I have her on the leash, she is walking so that her body is touching my leg.

I was concerned about allowing inappropriate behavior as I don't want her to learn those and then have to unlearn, but I also didn't want to make her shy away from us by correcting her. I'll do it firm but gentle if that makes sense.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
An extra large dog crate will be fine as long as she isn’t in it too much. I’m sure you know that she needs plenty of exercise. As far as where you might put it, can you clarify. Is the chicken yard a big fenced in area like a backyard or just a small run off the coop? I’m assuming it’s the first. If so, that should be fine, as long as she has protection from the sun.

I don’t think it would hurt anything to wear an old shirt of yours for a bit then put it in with her. It might actually help her attach to you more.

Firm but gentle makes sense. I tried to use careful explanations so you could understand what I was getting at. Queenie and my two Pyrs didn’t like my reprimanding tone and hang their heads the second I use it. Lol

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
An extra large dog crate will be fine as long as she isn’t in it too much. I’m sure you know that she needs plenty of exercise. As far as where you might put it, can you clarify. Is the chicken yard a big fenced in area like a backyard or just a small run off the coop? I’m assuming it’s the first. If so, that should be fine, as long as she has protection from the sun.

I don’t think it would hurt anything to wear an old shirt of yours for a bit then put it in with her. It might actually help her attach to you more.

Firm but gentle makes sense. I tried to use careful explanations so you could understand what I was getting at. Queenie and my two Pyrs didn’t like my reprimanding tone and hang their heads the second I use it. Lol

At this point, I only plan to use the crate at night. Currently its under our deck in our backyard. Eventually, we will move her to the chicken yard or I guess, more accurately, chicken paddock. The previous owner fenced the 'yard' in 3 separate paddocks. The paddock directly behind the house is the backyard. The one to the right is the chicken yard. It has their coop and a fenced yard for them if we are going to be gone for a long time and they can't free range. We have a shelter area that we are going to enclose as our barn.

She is currently down there barking, whining and howling. I'm not sure how our neighbors are going to feel about her lullaby. We may have to move the crate into the basement tonight and then bring it out tomorrow and work on her being in it during the day while I'm down there with her for her to get used to it. I'll give her a little longer.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had to put Trip in a crate at night when we first moved, so the coyotes wouldn’t eat him. He hated it. We got cow panels and made him a pen. It was right outside our bedroom window so we could hear him at night.

You could get cow panels to make her a pen in the back yard. Chickens can go through the holes, so probably not a good idea to put it in the chicken yard. LOL The sooner you can get her outside the better.

It’s sounds like you’re on the right track. You have the love, patience and firmness that she needs. She is going to make y’all an awesome dog.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
image.jpg
Oh my, I’m currently wandering around my backyard freshly showered in my nightgown and crocs trying to get her to go potty. She had settled down and all was quiet. When I got out of the shower, I heard her again. I thought she may have to potty. I didn’t notice her go after her dinner. She didn’t potty. I’m going to go to bed and hope that she goes to sleep as well. Fingers crossed.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Please don't get too upset with her barking. She's learning and gaining experience. She can hear, see, and smell things that you can't. If she goes on for too long, you can go out with her and act as her back-up. Stand with her looking intently where she's looking. Try to see/hear what she's interested in/alerting on. After a spell, tell her it's OK and thank her for letting you know. Until she gets fully settled in and learns what is and what isn't a threat, she's going to do what her instincts tell her to do... try to scare off the threat... by barking. Ideally, they don't WANT to get into it with a predator and would prefer to scare them enough to keep them away so there isn't an altercation. She's also too young to take on a large predator (coyote/large dog) by herself. You might have to have a talk with your nearest neighbors and ask their forgiveness and patience for the next several months while your girl learns.

You're doing great so far! Keep it up!

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Please don't get too upset with her barking. She's learning and gaining experience. She can hear, see, and smell things that you can't. If she goes on for too long, you can go out with her and act as her back-up. Stand with her looking intently where she's looking. Try to see/hear what she's interested in/alerting on. After a spell, tell her it's OK and thank her for letting you know. Until she gets fully settled in and learns what is and what isn't a threat, she's going to do what her instincts tell her to do... try to scare off the threat... by barking. Ideally, they don't WANT to get into it with a predator and would prefer to scare them enough to keep them away so there isn't an altercation. She's also too young to take on a large predator (coyote/large dog) by herself. You might have to have a talk with your nearest neighbors and ask their forgiveness and patience for the next several months while your girl learns.

You're doing great so far! Keep it up!
I’m not new to dogs/puppies but new to LGD. Her barking last night wasn’t just barking but whining and howling. It seemed more like separation then noises in the night. Especially since she continued after DH brought her crate and her in the basement and it continued. With previous puppies, we would bring their crate in our room, I’ve even put them in bed with us—not recommended but definitely out of desperation. She did the same thing yesterday afternoon when I brought the other dogs upstairs and she stayed in the yard just not as long. Is it possible, it’s from being separated from me? If so, on the one hand I’m glad but on the other how do I stop it?

I think today I will put her in the crate while I’m around so she gets used to it and I will put today’s shirt in when it’s bedtime. I’m sure I will post more later. Still trying to wake up after that terrible night, lol. Love her sweet nature.

Latest posts