We did it...

mkeawsh

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
#1- she officially counts as a rescue! She’s beyond lucky to have you!
#2- you can do this! Like LS mentioned, some treats are fine but you don’t want every positive experience based on food. Talk to her. Keep your tone even or even excited when you first see her. Praise her beyond measure verbally and with pets when she comes to you the first time when called. She will. I’ll be surprised if she doesn’t in a day or two.

As far as making friends, hang out near her. Find her favorite spots to be petted. My LGDs have always liked ears and “tail head.” I wouldn’t push belly yet as that’s bordering on making her submit to you and that’s a whole other thing that isn’t relevant at this time. Mine also love hugs.

#3-fly repellant works well to keep the bugs away. I’d put something over the wounds like MiniHorses mentioned then give her a light covering of fly spray.

-remember that removing the ticks may have been uncomfortable and even scary for her. She has to learn that every little thing you introduce doesn’t inflict pain. Try to have positive experiences. Go out to pet her for a few minutes, praise her, return to the house to (ex. Switch the laundry...), go back out for a few minutes to pet her, praise her, repeat. This will help her learn that every encounter doesn’t have a threatening catch. It’s been a big day for her!

Yes! The ears! My GP loooooves his ears scratched and rubbed. He moans and moans with his eyes shut. LOL

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She is beautiful! She'll come around once she figures out her place in the family and that you love her. Beautiful yard, too!
Thanks, we think she’s beautiful also. We love our outside space. She is doing very well. I was super concerned on Saturday when we brought her home if once she was loose we’d ever get her again. Now when she sees the leash, she sometimes won’t come. I either just have to wait or try and snag her.

Stephine

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Now for my questions...

1. What should I do for her sleeping situation? She can't be loose in our basement. When she is alone, I come back to find our work gloves out of the golf cart, a hose pulled out of a bucket, camp chair pulled out.
--these are the options that I see... put her in a crate, leave her in the yard loose or crated, in the bathroom with the door closed (I'm not keen on that as she may decide to go through it), bring her upstairs with everyone else(not keen on this either as eventually she will be in the yard quite possibly alone unless we get her a buddy)

2. After yesterday, I know she has to be on a leash when we are in the chickens' yard. How is the best way to let her know these are her chickens to take care of. Last night when I went to lock the chickens in, I leashed her and brought her with me and she came in the coop while I told the chickens goodnight. I told her these are her chickens to take care of. After the coop was locked, I walked her around the perimeter smelling things and constantly talked to her to let her know this is her yard to protect.

3. I don't want to be harsh with her, but when she does something that she shouldn't, how do I handle it? My other dogs get fussed at. She is still timid around us, won't willingly come when called. Does she get a pass while she acclimates or if needed, does she get corrected.

Just an observation, I'm outside on the patio with all 3 dogs out here. My little one was down by the fence line and started barking. I have no idea at what. Of course, Tybee had to go help out. Lola was up here sleeping on the patio and she heard them and she ran down there to bark also. The hair on her spine was standing up. I have no idea what they were barking at. I didn't see anything. I know there are raccoons out there as we've seen one during the day wandering around. I almost forgot to add, I realized the chickens had disappeared. When she headed back, I got up and told her she was a good girl. Am I on the right track?

Sorry so much but I'm sure there will be more. LOL
Congrats on the puppy!
I think you are doing a swell job so far!
To 1. I would put her in a crate at night, but train her to it with feeding her there etc... first.
To 2 and 3: The key is management. Don’t give her a chance to fail. While she is still getting to know her new home and learning to trust you and take direction from you, do what you can so your interactions can be positive. Keep her on leash around the chickens (or anything else she might bother) until you feel you two have a good, solid relationship going and then start training the things where you’d need to correct for a bad decision on her part. In the meantime have her watch you interact with the chickens and the rest of your ”pack” so she learns that you all belong together.
Good Luck!

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’m not new to dogs/puppies but new to LGD. Her barking last night wasn’t just barking but whining and howling. It seemed more like separation then noises in the night. Especially since she continued after DH brought her crate and her in the basement and it continued. With previous puppies, we would bring their crate in our room, I’ve even put them in bed with us—not recommended but definitely out of desperation. She did the same thing yesterday afternoon when I brought the other dogs upstairs and she stayed in the yard just not as long. Is it possible, it’s from being separated from me? If so, on the one hand I’m glad but on the other how do I stop it?

I think today I will put her in the crate while I’m around so she gets used to it and I will put today’s shirt in when it’s bedtime. I’m sure I will post more later. Still trying to wake up after that terrible night, lol. Love her sweet nature.
My experience indicates pups can be afraid of the dark. They know there’s danger. She may be upset about being away from you. I’m not sure how to overnight her but be patient she will improve every day. She adjusting to so many new things. You are her anchor. Hang in there. She’ll be worth it.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
She is still a baby. Remember that when you got her she had never been separated from her parents and possibly other siblings. That means she had never spent a night alone. Your small dogs sleep inside right? Now she is all alone outside in the dark with noises and smells she has to identify and without the protection of her parents. At 4-5 months, LGDs are just starting to really learn what all those strange noises and smells are. Absolutely, you can't have her sleep in the house because she needs to learn to be outside to guard your property and livestock. Her howling is the same as the 8 week old little puppy that cries all night in the laundry room until you break down and take it in your room, right? It is just louder because she is so much bigger. You can't bring her in when she howls because she will think she needs to be inside at night. The only thing worse than a grown LGD that insists on sleeping inside at night is the grown LGD that is inside at night and realizes something bad that they need to protect you from is outside! That is noise! She will learn that she needs to be outside at night eventually.

Baymule's suggestion of a small fenced pen outside is a good one. She will soon outgrow the crate so a larger pen with a cover will be better for her. If you can afford it, many places like Lowes, Home Depot and Tractor Supply sell portable dog kennels. They are usually about 8' x8'. The panels go together with clamps and it is fairly easy to move around. You can also get extra panels to either make a top or make the kennel larger. Get one with a roof for her (to prevent her learning to climb out - a Pyr specialty) and put a shelter top over it for sun and rain. She is going to be a puppy for another year and really won't have the know how to completely hold her own with a large predator until she is at least 18 months. She will be willing but it is up to you to keep her safe till then. Since coyotes and cougar can kill or injure a young LGD she will be safe in the pen at night. If you don't want her left loose in your yard while you are away for a long period of time until she is completely trained it is a safe place for her. She will not need the kennel much after she is a year except when she comes in season) but it will come in handy for other small livestock or even your adult chickens.

The panels go together with clamps and it is fairly easy to move around. The kennel is a good investment for your property. We have several chain link portable kennels, the oldest panels are 45 years old back when we trained, showed and bred dogs. If the wire gets stretched out or damaged, you can stretch new chain link on it to repair it. Our main one now is 10' x18' that we actually use a lot for our dogs. We have used it for injured lambs, sick ewes or goats, lambing or kidding pens, etc. It is handy to pen the Anatolians up in when the shearer or vet comes, if workmen are in the property, if we need to keep the gates open while working, sorting lambs, etc. When Rika was spayed the vet said to keep her quiet for a couple weeks. Duh! She is a guardian! :lol: First thing out of the car she tried to check out all 5 acres. Thank goodness for the kennel. Even in the kennel she broke 2 stitches! When we have people over for a party we lock up the sheep and put the dogs in the kennel so that people can park on our field. Also since Bubba's chin is the right height to rest on the table as he drools and begs for a taste with his eyes - he hasn't actually snuck anyone's food yet, but avoidance of the problem is better than punishment after! LOL

Your story about how she ran with her ruff up on alert to see what the little dogs were barking at shows that she will be an awesome LGD. She has all the instincts. You are doing everything right by anticipating and avoiding bad behavior. Anticipation of what a puppy will do and making it impossible for the puppy to do bad stuff is the secret of successful dog training. You have only to look at the floor of someone who complains that their puppy chews up everything and you will see they leave their shoes, kids' toys, etc. laying everywhere. The successful puppy trainer only has dog toys and chews strewn all over the floor so whatever the puppy picks up is ok. In the rare instance of the pup getting hold of a "no no" there is a readily accessible "yes yes" item to immediately trade and distract puppy with.

Good job with your training - she is going to be great! Gracie Lou sounds really great to me! Oh yeah, our Pyrs duck their heads and try to avoid the leash too. LOL

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She is still a baby. Remember that when you got her she had never been separated from her parents and possibly other siblings. That means she had never spent a night alone. Your small dogs sleep inside right? Now she is all alone outside in the dark with noises and smells she has to identify and without the protection of her parents. At 4-5 months, LGDs are just starting to really learn what all those strange noises and smells are. Absolutely, you can't have her sleep in the house because she needs to learn to be outside to guard your property and livestock. Her howling is the same as the 8 week old little puppy that cries all night in the laundry room until you break down and take it in your room, right? It is just louder because she is so much bigger. You can't bring her in when she howls because she will think she needs to be inside at night. The only thing worse than a grown LGD that insists on sleeping inside at night is the grown LGD that is inside at night and realizes something bad that they need to protect you from is outside! That is noise! She will learn that she needs to be outside at night eventually.

Baymule's suggestion of a small fenced pen outside is a good one. She will soon outgrow the crate so a larger pen with a cover will be better for her. If you can afford it, many places like Lowes, Home Depot and Tractor Supply sell portable dog kennels. They are usually about 8' x8'. The panels go together with clamps and it is fairly easy to move around. You can also get extra panels to either make a top or make the kennel larger. Get one with a roof for her (to prevent her learning to climb out - a Pyr specialty) and put a shelter top over it for sun and rain. She is going to be a puppy for another year and really won't have the know how to completely hold her own with a large predator until she is at least 18 months. She will be willing but it is up to you to keep her safe till then. Since coyotes and cougar can kill or injure a young LGD she will be safe in the pen at night. If you don't want her left loose in your yard while you are away for a long period of time until she is completely trained it is a safe place for her. She will not need the kennel much after she is a year except when she comes in season) but it will come in handy for other small livestock or even your adult chickens.

The panels go together with clamps and it is fairly easy to move around. The kennel is a good investment for your property. We have several chain link portable kennels, the oldest panels are 45 years old back when we trained, showed and bred dogs. If the wire gets stretched out or damaged, you can stretch new chain link on it to repair it. Our main one now is 10' x18' that we actually use a lot for our dogs. We have used it for injured lambs, sick ewes or goats, lambing or kidding pens, etc. It is handy to pen the Anatolians up in when the shearer or vet comes, if workmen are in the property, if we need to keep the gates open while working, sorting lambs, etc. When Rika was spayed the vet said to keep her quiet for a couple weeks. Duh! She is a guardian! :lol: First thing out of the car she tried to check out all 5 acres. Thank goodness for the kennel. Even in the kennel she broke 2 stitches! When we have people over for a party we lock up the sheep and put the dogs in the kennel so that people can park on our field. Also since Bubba's chin is the right height to rest on the table as he drools and begs for a taste with his eyes - he hasn't actually snuck anyone's food yet, but avoidance of the problem is better than punishment after! LOL

Your story about how she ran with her ruff up on alert to see what the little dogs were barking at shows that she will be an awesome LGD. She has all the instincts. You are doing everything right by anticipating and avoiding bad behavior. Anticipation of what a puppy will do and making it impossible for the puppy to do bad stuff is the secret of successful dog training. You have only to look at the floor of someone who complains that their puppy chews up everything and you will see they leave their shoes, kids' toys, etc. laying everywhere. The successful puppy trainer only has dog toys and chews strewn all over the floor so whatever the puppy picks up is ok. In the rare instance of the pup getting hold of a "no no" there is a readily accessible "yes yes" item to immediately trade and distract puppy with.

Good job with your training - she is going to be great! Gracie Lou sounds really great to me! Oh yeah, our Pyrs duck their heads and try to avoid the leash too. LOL

Could you post a picture of the pen? I just need a visual of what y'all use.

goats4us

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
006.jpg
Here's some pictures of our set-up. We were using a 10 x 10 kennel, but we both work so she has to spend a lot of time in it. Since these dogs can take 2 years or more before they can be trusted alone with the stock and she isn't yet 4 months old, we decided she needed more room. Last Saturday we opened one of the kennel panel connections and added a little fencing and she now has a 20 x 30 ft. area and can go in and out of the barn whenever she wants. We fenced off one end of the barn for her, the rest is for the goats. Her area is completely within the goat pasture. I would get a fenced area for your LGD as soon as possible and put her next to the stock you want her to guard. It's very important she be with them as much as possible and if you don't leave her outside, you may soon find you have another indoor dog and none to guard your stock!:\
005.jpg