We did it...

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 49098 Here's some pictures of our set-up. We were using a 10 x 10 kennel, but we both work so she has to spend a lot of time in it. Since these dogs can take 2 years or more before they can be trusted alone with the stock and she isn't yet 4 months old, we decided she needed more room. Last Saturday we opened one of the kennel panel connections and added a little fencing and she now has a 20 x 30 ft. area and can go in and out of the barn whenever she wants. We fenced off one end of the barn for her, the rest is for the goats. Her area is completely within the goat pasture. I would get a fenced area for your LGD as soon as possible and put her next to the stock you want her to guard. It's very important she be with them as much as possible and if you don't leave her outside, you may soon find you have another indoor dog and none to guard your stock!:\View attachment 49097

That's awesome. I will start looking into it and show my hubby!!

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Nice set up. Just remember that pups are pups and need reassurance. When I got LGDs a dozen years ago I was strongly advised to not name them, pet them or treat them any differently than “stock”. Well I spoil my sheep a bit w a pat on the head and treats and spend more time w the dogs than may be recommended. In return they have led me to trapped lambs, hens w chicks I needed to coop etc. Time well spent for all of us.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, years ago we were all told not to have any interaction with our LGDs because they wouldn't work if we petted or loved them! Now the truth is known and we are encouraged to interact and socialize our LGDs. I think a good average is the best. You don't want to encourage them to be house dogs, but we let ours in for an hour or so at night, expecially in the winter when we are not spending as much time outside. After an hour or several, they get up and ask to go out on their evening rounds. It is just a little family bonding time. If there are lots of predators around they won't even come to the door let alone come in. They actually prefer to be on guard outside. Our Pyrs had to be forced inside (hen the children felt the weather was too extreme for them) and would wait at the door for the first opportunity to get back outside. Eventually we learned that no matter what the weather was outside they did not want to be separated from their animals. I think they work better when they are part of the family instead of an unnamed dog in a field. Also how can you take care of them if they aren't trained at least to a leash and to come when called. They need vet care and sometimes grooming or doctoring. There is a nice mixture of hands off to let the dog do its job without interference, and loving it as a respected working member of your pack. Of course, you can never let the dog or you forget that you are the alpha of course!:clap

Great kennel set up too. Remember you can buy the kennels as an all in one set or buy panels at Lowes, Home Depot or Tractor Supply. Go on line and check them out under dog kennels. We have used ours over the years for the dogs, poultry, goats, sheep, etc. Just don't use them for pigs since the market hogs tore up our chain link! Another plus about them is that you can take them apart and out them together in various configurations outside and inside the barn. Worth every penny you will spend on them and you will get your money's worth over the next 20 years at least.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have standard sized 4 pipe corral panel that one of our rams bent by butting. :he No, you don't want to keep rams or bucks in your dog kennel! We like them for temporary purposes, kids, emergencies with animals, solitary confinement, etc. and having an empty pen to use at a moments notice. How many times do you need one in an emergency and have to rearrange animals? I think they are worth the money investment. You can also take them apart and stack the panels if you are short on space or putting up permanent pens. They may not be for everyone, but we have used them for everything. Of course, we had several from our dogs when we moved here so we didn't buy them figuring them for stock keeping purposes. DH does want to buy more since they are so handy but first I need to restring a couple that have bad wire on them.

Also, you can weld wire onto corral panels too. That type of corral panel is available under the name of "stud panels". We got some of those in a smaller size for our pigs and they come in handy too. They are only about 42" tall but have walk through gates like corral gates. They were not cheap, but are useful because again you can take them apart and reconfigure them to whatever you need. At the moment some of them are put together around our hayshed to form a sort of hay jail after one of the horses tore off the door. Apparently she wanted her dinner NOW! :barnie

Repeat after me: "I love all my animals and enjoy their antics! I know we will laugh about this later." :fl

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Wow, I haven’t really been able to get on here for quite a few days. We had one of our grandsons while his parents were out of town. Didn’t leave much free time.

We have to take Gracie to the vet for a quick check up after her initial visit. Hope DH doesn’t have to carry her in again.

Quick question, if a chicken comes up to her while on a leash, is it okay for her to lick the chicken? Feels like a dumb question but if you don’t know.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
3CE29E70-D87F-49CE-98D5-FA26C0767AD6.jpeg
FBE37DD0-64BD-4F30-A6E1-5C9C957B95EA.jpeg

Yesterday morning

Latest posts