Weaning kids off doe, tips?

MargaretClare

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It's supposed to jump around between 100 and 110 degrees for the next week. No rain in months. My goats get free choice Bermuda hay anyway. Alfalfa is more of a treat when I have it. They get loose goat mineral and a little bit of formulated goat feed as grain which I've cut off since that was recommended for drying off.
I'm really thankful for all the help. :)

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Google Farmer's Almanac and it gives dates that are best for weaning livestock. I usually always wean by the recommended days per the Farmer's Almanac. I have weaned on days not good and the kids and momma goats acted like absolute fools screaming all day and into the night and going off feed and laying right in the fence line acting like they had major surgery and were off their psych meds or something...a hot mess to say the least. Totally night and day difference if ya go by the Farmer's Almanac's recommended dates to wean plus just separating the kid and momma goat to where they are outta sight from each other. We separate them with a pasture between them (we do rotational grazing so we have several pastures). If I follow these 2 rules, weaning is easy and the kids grow faster and the momma goats dry off easier with less chances of getting mastitis. Some people think I'm crazy but the Farmer's Almanac thing was passed down for several generations to me. There's suggested best times for getting a haircut so your hair doesn't grow too fast, best time to slaughter livestock, breed livestock, plant garden, spray weed killer, mow your yard...:cool:

MargaretClare

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My family has always used the farmers almanac for certain things but we've never used the suggested dates for things other than planting. I'll have to try that next time and see if there's a difference. I have a doe with a two week old so I can try that when I wean her kid.

Latest posts