Wehner Homestead 2018 Calving: Done

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sorry you're still dealing with back pain. Been there, done that. Once you've injured it the first time, it's so much easier to do so again in the future.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry you're still dealing with back pain. Been there, done that. Once you've injured it the first time, it's so much easier to do so again in the future.

Supposedly strained muscles but no tests have been done (not that strain shows up, just other evidence of injuries.) It’s a workplace injury so I have to play by their rules. I really would rather see a chiropractor!!

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Scarlett and Maizy appear to be able to calve at the drop of a hat. I think Maddie and Dolly are going to push the limits on their due dates.

The ground here is frozen so I walked through them this morning while being careful not to slip. It had to be better on my back than tromping through mid-calf mud.

Melody is concerning me some. I mentioned that she has the potential for more than one due date but she’s not showing signs of imminent delivery like the others. At the same time, I don’t expect her to make it another month before she calves. DH mentioned Sat that she prolapses tissue when laying down but sucks it in when she stands. He sent me pics but I actually saw it today. I’ll attach pics and try to do the “spoiler alert.” Her breathing also concerns me as she sounds like she can’t catch her breath. I called my Papaw but he’s in Florida and we think she’s probably full of twin calves. Just praying everything goes well.

0CB66B50-8B19-4102-B0C4-D7435865F909.jpeg
75842F3E-1665-46EF-A276-04C44789033C.jpeg
3E97C149-5E0C-4F3A-8CBC-FC8CEE43E2D1.jpeg

Sorry that the lighting wasn’t the best for the pics. I’m also going to try to attach the sound file of her breathing. No luck!

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Scarlett had a bull calf this evening. He had the most beautiful red/white markings but he didn’t make it. One of those situations where you don’t know what went wrong and probably never will. Mostly sad for Scarlett because she’s such a good mama and she’s out there mourning. We will also have to milk her or she will end up with a ruined udder. DH and my Dad are going through a bad case of “what-ifs”....:(:hit:he

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Find a calf, even if it is a holstein off a dairy , to graft on her so that you don't lose the lactation or have to milk her or ruin the udder.. Unless you are wanting to milk her.
I graft calves on nurse cows all the time. Preferably get one directly off a dairy, that has had colostrum, but in the event of not being able to do that and the stockyard is the only option, regardless of what they say, give it at least one bottle of colostrum - replacer- and yes it isn't cheap, and then a couple of hours later, give it at least 1 bottle of milk from your cow to get the milk processing through it's system. Or get her in a chute and put the calf on her. Cattle work by smell, and they will smell the calf's butt and if the manure doesn't smell right will be less likely to want to take it. Of course there are those that will take any calf.
Also, take and skin out the dead calf like a tube, and slide it right over the new calf so that it smells like "her calf". I can talk you through it if you have never done it. Once the calf gets on the teat and gets a good meal, separate them and then put them back together 12 hours later. Often by then the cow will welcome the relief of the udder pressure, and they can be left together. If she is not trying to butt it across the barn or into a wall, she will tolerate it and in a day or two will decide it is hers. The cow will lick the calf and often you will find the "skin" in a little pile on the ground. If not, just slide it back off after 2-3 days.
Calves die and sometimes there is nothing you can do, or should have done differently. It's part of having "livestock" ; you are going to have "deadstock" also.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sorry you lost the bull calf. Hope you can do as Jan suggested...

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve put out feelers for a calf with no luck yet...I’m afraid Melody is going to have twins and I wish I could put one on Scarlett!!! I don’t want to keep the dead calf around too long either...:barnie

Latest posts