Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well...we’ve survived the first blast of winter. Our power was restored after 10 this morning after being out for more than 72 hours. We’ve alternated staying with DH’s parents and mine (after their power came on.) Running generators every few hours to try to save what was in our fridges and freezers and avoiding having the kids at home since our house got down to 44 degrees. Of course with the electric out, the cattle had to start testing the fence too. It’s been nothing short of boring! All of the animals seemed to fare well. Halo sure is glad to have her kids home! We missed her being with us all the time!

I hope everyone else fared well and I’ll try to get caught up again over the next few days and share some neat I’ve pictures.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
We don’t celebrate traditional Thanksgiving here. Haven’t since I was about 10. Theory is always that everyone has so many places to go that we end up with nowhere we are obligated to be.

Before I was 10, my paternal grandmother’s (1 of 11) family used to have a HUGE meal at one of my great aunt’s houses. The food you had to have was homemade noodles! :drool As the elders have aged, no one was up for hosting the large crowd so the gathering doesn’t occur any more.

My mom’s family has their gathering the Saturday before. My dad’s family has theirs the Saturday after and we call it “Thanksmas” because my grandparents leave for Florida the first week of Dec. DH’s family has theirs randomly around work schedules of FIL and me. We are doing it the Sunday after.

Plan for today was to go to church and help serve and prepare meals for those that are homebound, can’t afford a meal, or would be alone otherwise. Ended up staying home as I was diagnosed with a severe sinus infection and given a steroid shot and an antibiotic shot with follow up meds, DD1 has an ear infection and is on an antibiotic, DS has an upper respiratory virus and has to be monitored for complications, and finally DD2 has the same thing as DS but her airway is reacting so she’s getting breathing treatments around the clock. Not to be left out, DH has a cold.

I worked yesterday and made a quick stop after work to grab a few things for appetizers. My parents came for supper and we had pigs n a blanket, homemade meatballs and smokies in bbq, sausage cheese dip, turkey tortilla pinwheels, no-bake cookies, and punch. It was different but lots of fun and we will eat a ton of turkey anyway.