Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Southern by choice both parents are F1 50-50. I hadn’t intended to “jump” generations but the opportunity presented itself and it felt right. I’m super excited about adding these genetics to my Mini program.

@Hens and Roos We actually talked to a breeder. I’m not 100% convinced. Negotiations are at a stand still. I do have something up my sleeve though and plans to raise my own bucks with varied genetics.

I’ve get to get my goat numbers down. The current number (25) would be okay if they were Minis/Standards and the buck ratio was more appropriate.

Current bucks are King, Knight (will be sold as soon as I get my butt in gear and register the does from him,) Theo (Snowflake’s retained buckling from last spring,) Alvin (Theo’s twin- has a date with destiny as soon as the two little buckling are ready to be sold,) and Buck/Gunner (young bucklings that will get shipped at 8 weeks.) That puts me from 6 bucks to 2! King will always live here.

As far as does...there are currently FIVE Nellie daughters on the farm. I think that’s excessive. I don’t plan to keep Sweetheart or Flower past as long as I keep them nursing Nellie. That was a hard decision but it was an accidental breeding of two goats that would’ve never been matched together otherwise. Now to decide if I’m keeping the triplet girls from last year...Elly, Perdy, and Beauty. I need to study the three more closely and evaluate their parasite load. I may end up freshening all 3 in the fall and deciding from there.

Snowflake, Ariel, Diamond, Jasmine, Caramel, Nellie, Sparkle, CeCe, Summer, Leah, Treasure, and Xylie will all stay for sure. Ariel, Diamond, Jasmine, and Leah will be bred for fall. Jasmine and Leah will be decided based on udders\productuon at that time, keeping in mind that they are FF.

That brings me to Caramel’s fall kids...Rapunzel and Snow White. Plammed breeding. Interested in seeing what buck did for them.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve posted in some of the other threads...behind on this one and reading threads I follow. I’ll catch up one of these days. I’m having a hard time getting in a good groove this spring. Normally the sunshine and things greening up lifts my mood. Hasn’t happened yet this year. I think my body is telling me to slow down. Just not sure how/where.

Cattle are something DH and I both love. They are part of our farm plan for our farm loan and play a huge role in meeting our requirements to stay eligible.

Dairy goats are necessary for DD2 to thrive. I love them! DH tolerates them...he has a few favorites. I definitely prefer my Lamanchas and Minis over several of my Nigerians. Side note: Sweetheart and Flower were supposed to be sold but look better every day. I guess they are going to get a chance to show me what they can do! Another side note: I put down a deposit on a Mini Lamancha yearling buck. He’s outside genetics to what I have and what I intend to bring in. I’ll share more once he’s here. I still have more Mini plans up my sleeve that I can’t wait to let unfold.

Pigs are just fun. I miss them when we don’t have any. DH agreed to buy another today from the same person. Another gilt. It’s hard to say no when they are $25! He just wants them off his feedbill and the space freed up. Kids want to do a breeding program instead of putting these in the freezer. They are good. It’d be a shame/waste to butcher them. Time will tell. I’ll get pics of the new one after we pick her up.

Chicken set-up is still less than favorable. I need to get some chicks to have eggs through next winter. If we could get the new area finished, I’d enjoy my chickens more.

DH decided to refrain from neutering/spaying Cowboy and Jewel for now. Their breeder is working on AKC papers. They’ll be sterilized if we can’t get them. If we can get them, they’ll have to pass genetic tests and OFA before breeding is an option.

Ella has kittens- see their thread under Other Animals. I don’t think Cupcake is expecting.

Kids have plans to show goats/pigs/cattle this summer. Should be busy.

Can I quit working off the farm? There’s plenty here to keep me busy as wife, mom, and farm management.

I have a few pics for y’all. DH and I are renewing our vows May 10 so I’m working on that too. Nothing huge. Keeping it simple and relaxed.

2A5B7041-6858-4188-9060-DC2F0039C584.jpeg

90465836-2280-493F-A38A-64509F56EB43.jpeg

These two didn’t fight. They are best buddies! That’s quite unusual for pigs.
01A0BD07-9D0F-4419-988E-2A4089A7CB40.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love your pictures, life on the farm. What a precious gift for your children to be raised on a farm. I hear you on reducing numbers, sometimes you have to take a step back and look at the big picture. You run yourself ragged trying to do it all. You are my Super Hero, but even a Super Hero needs some down time.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Picked up the new gilt tonight. Now each of the kids have one. This one has been named Iris. (She was pretty stressed in the pic but calmed down quickly.)

19D41A69-D8AC-4C87-9A93-56CFC40CEE61.jpeg

We have started breeding cattle. Calving isn’t done yet! Ugh! It’s possible though with a 9 month gestation.

Need to get some goats bred to kid this fall...