Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Happy Easter! It’s been a busy weekend! We did play performances to reenact the life, miracles, death, and resurrection of Jesus last Sunday, then again Friday and Saturday evening. Today was morning service and two family gatherings.

DH made a feed run yesterday and brought home these additions! More details to come.
D5078F7F-715F-4D96-B2D4-0F8BDE1B61B1.jpeg
7B251EB5-B89E-4406-A378-40919BC3D71F.jpeg

I goofed around with the camera on my phone, a $1 pair of bunny ears, and a couple goats yesterday with some help from DD1. I need to go through the rest of the pics so I may have more to post later.
D9ACD4EA-F9DE-4283-80AA-B73A31DE7BC8.jpeg

A5EE522D-5188-421E-8B2D-8FF63B3DC203.jpeg

@Southern by choice @Goat Whisperer check out CeCe!

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Chicken set-up is still less than favorable. I need to get some chicks to have eggs through next winter. If we could get the new area finished, I’d enjoy my chickens more.
Hope you get your chicken area set up the way you want it soon. Just wanted to let you know that the chickens you have is are doing well and great layers!
Good luck with the new additions, goats and chickens. Love you bunny ears pics lol

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don’t even know where to start. First off, I’m sorry for not checking in. I’ve dealt with some serious anxiety and depression since losing the baby in Dec. My antidepressant dose was increased at the time and they are now thinking that it was too much so I’m having to wean back and see how I do at different strengths.

I text @BlessedWithGoats, @Southern by choice, and @Goat Whisperer some. I’m also FB friends with a few others. If you’d like my FB name, I’ll try to check my messages and share it with some of you that I’m close to. I’d consider giving my number to several also.

Anyway, DD1 has been doing lots of schoolwork this summer. We are trying to get her more confidence. She starts second grade tomorrow. DS played tee ball. He starts Kindergarten tomorrow. I’m already crying.

DD2 has had a summer of all kinds of craziness. At least five dr appts that were all day trips to Louisville, she got her wheelchair, was evaluated for speech and occupational therapy, and had her tonsils removed and some of her adenoids. This required an overnight hospital stay. She turned 4 also. She starts preschool again next week. She also has another surgery on some leg tendons and muscles scheduled for Oct.

We had an extra 11 yr old kiddo all summer. She’s the one that keeps her cattle here. We had a blast with her! She’s a big help and the four think that they are siblings now.

Kids took private swim lessons for 3 weeks this summer. All made huge improvements.

Fair was chaotic but a great time. DD1 did a scrapbook of her and Jewel for her Mini project. Calves did well. We raised a class winner, a second in class, and a last in a very competitive class. We also bought the Grand a Champion Heifer to add to our herd. Her name is June. She’d been offered to us before the show as they have too many for their land. We didn’t take official ownership until after the State Fair show that she competed in. The kids enjoyed watching the Poultry, Swine, Sheep, and Beef shows. Round Robin went well. DH and I “retired” from being the facilitators. We agreed to help the new organizers next year. DD1 will have animals at the fair the year after that.

We will be breeding two gilts for Jan show pigs. Goat breeding should be well underway but we haven’t started yet. Cattle have been bred. We’ve decided to eat a gilt that we were going to breed at one time. Several brood cows were culled - this was very emotional and part of what played into buying June. It’s time to wean and start on the next round of show calves. Several Nigerians are for sale as we transition to focus more on Mini Lamanchas, Lamanchas, AND Nubians! I’ll keep a few Nigerians but I have entirely too many.

We had a second litter of two kittens from a stray. I rehomed the female and the little black male will be staying. I named him Simon and the kids call him Simon Says! One of the original five kittens and their mother, Ella, died.

I went to get a Pyr/Newf pup that a friend’s mom had an accidental litter of. DH approved a black male. There were two to pick from. I picked one but we looked at the others just to see and I saw a tan girl with dark points that I had to have. I brought home both! Their names are Bear and Annie. They’ll be huge and hopefully intimidate all the idiots that think they need to come back our long lane and attempt to sell us crap.

I’m sure I’ve forgotten something... I’m trying to get back to cooking. I’ve cooked three times in two weeks. That’s progress from where I was part of the summer. (Y’all know I typically love cooking.)

I do have a BIG surprise that I’ll try to post after a few pics.