Weight and price of different cattle

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Estrotect patches are the way to go. I use them even on some of the heifers that we synchronize. As to the duration of heat---some heifers are only in heat for 3 - 4 hours. Cows usually are in heat around 12 - 18 hours. Breeding should be done around 8 - 12 hours after the onset of heat.

One method that we use on synched heifers is to use estrotect patches on all of them. Timed breed those that have scratched patches, and give GnRH to the ones that are not scratched. Breed the remainder around 20 hours later. This will increase preg rates by up to 10 - 15%.

As to the length of time that semen is viable in liquid N, it is good as long as it is kept in liquid nitrogen. I have some ampules (the forerunner of the straws that are currently used) from the 1970's that are just as fertile today as they were when collected.

I currently have around 2500 head of cows and heifers scheduled to breed in the May - July timeframe. Expecting to do around 5000 total this summer. Several herds of 700 - 1000+ signed up already. Of course, we try to limit our numbers to less than 400 in one day if possible due to arm fatigue and the time frame that they need to be bred within. The advent of the breeding barns that we utilize has allowed us to breed much faster and obtain better preg rates than were possible earlier.

As to using AI versus a bull--- Using AI when you can use a bull that likely has up to several thousand calves on the ground, versus an unproven bull is a no brainer. I have a customer who used AI the past several years to a PROVEN calving ease bull, and bought a "supposedly calving ease bull" to use as a cleanup bull last year. He had no problem with the AI calves, and had to pull 100+ lb calves from the heifers that were bred by the cleanup bull. Lost several calves, and had to have a vet do a caesarian section on a heifer. The "C" section cost him nearly $700, and he still lost the heifer. He's now convinced that AI is feasible cost wise. Yes, AI is not as convenient as a bull, but when you consider the shortened calving time, the likelihood of less calving difficulty, and the increased genetic value and flexibility, it's a no brainer. I'm also seeing $4000 - $6000 bulls that people have bought that should have been steers. Using a proven bull that one of the AI studs has done extensive research on, and has likely have done genetic tests on for a total fee of around $100 or less is definitely the way to go. Good luck!

COWGUY1123

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This is the Jersey cow for sale. About 3 years old 8 months pregnant with her second calf. Was bred to a 3/4 black angus 1/4 jersey bull and is for sale for $1200. Is this a good buy ??? How much should I offer him or should I just meet his price. He is my neighbor so no transportation fee.
DSC02033.JPG
DSC02034.JPG
DSC02032.JPG
DSC02035.JPG
DSC02036.JPG
DSC02037.JPG
DSC02038.JPG
DSC02039.JPG

Tell me what y'all think…...

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
cowguy... since it seems that you know much more about cattle , their conformation and how much money you will make from them than any of us here, not to mention their management ... go ahead and buy them ! :hu

Last edited:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
No cattle expert, but she doesn't look 8 months bred...
Appearances in regards to bred or open can be misleading at times, and CowGuy--the $1200 price seems good enough, but if you are considering buying her as a heavy bred 2nd calf animal, you should get some kind of assurance that you are getting what you pay for--a palp test from a vet would not be out of line to ask for when doing a private treaty purchase.

farmeroak

Just born
Reaction score
I have a black angus mixed with Holstein calf that I just bought. His mom was Holstein and dad black angus. He is totally black. Not sure if I want to raise him for meat or to reproduce. Did I make a good deal or not. I am new to the cow industry. Can someone give me some input. Thanks.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
She doesn't look too bad. Those horns need to be tipped though.

@farmeroak, you're better off castrating him and using him for beef. JHM covered it well enough above about unproven bulls to warrant a good reason to use your Angus-cross for the freezer. At least, I'm assuming your calf is a bull calf by the way your describing him as a "he" and not a "she..."

COWGUY1123

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
look bossroo I am just trying to get everyones opinions. Im asking what you think about me buying this cow(maybe she isn't bred, but ill ask him because that is what he said). I am also asking what you guys think that I can sell them for because I don't really know. All I know is that this jersey cow to me looks a lot better than mine. Just saying.........

COWGUY1123

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Also he might be talking about a different cow but this is the one that came into my mind first because that is the one that I always see when I drive past his field