Weight tapes for cows

babyboy1_mom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I will try to get the pics. on here tomorrow.

So, do all of you think that approx. 224 lbs. is a good weight for a approx. 9 wk old bull calf?

If he is indeed at that weight or close to it, then he is almost half the weight that my last bull that my sister raised for us, when he was 1 yr. 8 mo. (373 dressed/cleaned, whatever they called it. My BIL said to add approx. 150 lbs. to estimate total weight. I personally do not know.) That is a huge difference, IMO.

I am learning and loving every minute of it. I just wish that I wasn't so tired, so that I could keep more info. in my head without having to read it several times. I know that with time comes experience, so it will eventually stick with the experience and time...lol

Thanks for all the help, suggestions and info.

Dorothy

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I believe, when you butcher, dressed out weight is roughly 60% of live weight. Of course, that will depend on the breed and the individual animal.

With the other one weighing 373 dressed out and add on the 150 your BIL told you to add on he only weighed 523 pounds. So 60% of 523 is 313.80 pounds. But as a 1 year 8 month old that isn't to good.

Now, for your current calf, at 9 weeks and roughly 224 pounds I would say he's doing good. The tape put heifers at 215 at 3 months and while a steer/bull will probably be a little more, I would think he's doing good. I don't know what he weighed at birth but, I'll figure 100 pounds. So that's a gain of 124 pounds in 9 weeks or 13.7 pounds a week.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
if you can keep him gaining 1.8 to 2lbs a day.he will weigh in at 750lbs at 1 yr old or less.but todo that you have to pour the feed to him.if the calf that your sil raised an butchered for you weighed 525 lbs.that tells me that she fed him very little grain.an prolly just had him on hay an pasture.

babyboy1_mom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sorry that this has taken me so long, but take my word for it, that things have been absolutely crazy around here. I haven't been online in a while. Here are the pictures that were supposed to have been here a long time ago...lol

166_11_weeks.jpg

166_11_weeks_2.jpg

166_11_weeks_3.jpg

166_11_weeks_5.jpg

Yes, he is tied on a rope at this time. DH and I are working on his pasture now and will have it done soon, I hope.

I will "try" to get new measurements on him tomorrow and will post them.

Dorothy

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
he looks to weigh 300 to 350 more or less.keep pouring the feed to him.

babyboy1_mom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks Farmer Kitty and wynedot55. I like the secone picture also. I was stooping down to take it and he was coming towards me to see if I had something for him to eat...lol

I did discover yesterday, that he has a ringworm on his neck and I went to the feed store right then and got the meds. to treat it, before it gets out of hand. Now, I keep thinking about it and itching all over...lol

Dorothy

JerseyXGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
How do you measure a cow that is a dairy x beef cross like Jersey x Angus? I measured with a cloth tape and got 30"

I may have been off alittle but after finding this thread I will redo tomorrow but I think I'm I did pretty good for guessing, lol.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Good question. I never did get anyone to do the beef tapes--I'll have to see if I can find one when I get to town. Without it to compare I'm not sure how to do a cross. Try posting a pic of the calf with things in the background to compare it to and see if we can estimate a weight for you.

Latest posts