Weird bug bites/stings on my hands

Stephine

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I guess people fall under „other animals“? Didn’t know where to ask about this but figured my chances of finding out what’s plaguing me are best with the backyard herds crowd. I have been getting sporadic bites or stings on my hands. It is always on the inside of my fingers or on my palms so I assume it is happening when I grab something. I don’t wear gloves as much as I should… I grab hay for feeding, sometimes pull weeds or very seldom rearrange some bedding in the sheep stall with my bare hands. These bites show up as a tiny pointy raised bump at first, skin colored. They hurt itch a bit but not bad at all. Then after a few days they turn into blood blisters which get bigger over a few days. Itch is intermittent but can be intense. Then they sit there for weeks, changing color between red, blue and black, itching a little, hurting a little. Last one took five weeks to heal. Whatever this critter is, it‘s got pretty potent poison! Anyone else get these bites or knows what this could be?

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
The only bites that I've gotten that stick around for weeks were spider bites. Perhaps a spider? a mite? or maybe a tiny sticker/thorn that gets under the skin??
For what it's worth gloves, always have gloves and use them. I've got several pairs, two that don't have holes and a pile that have worn through with various holes. I keep the ones that are old and holey in the barn so when I forget to grab a pair at the house I don't have to traipse back to get them. LOL and as we get older (ahem in our prime) the skin gets a bit thinner and well - more prone to needing a bandaid 😉 . Get some nice leather gloves, anything else IMO is worthless -- Home Depot, TSC, etc - mens small -- womens gloves just don't have the sturdiness of the mens.
As for the itching -- check out the CeraVe Moisturizing Cream for Itch Relief with Pramoxine Hydrochloride the stuff truly works. And it's not "heavy" feeling.
Sorry I couldn't give you a why - but at least two other bits of info.

Stephine

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
??😱?? Ants? I'd say you better wear gloves more.

Not sounding good...to be enduring. Think hard -- happening in one location and not others? Might help with identifying.
I read about ants but all I see is that the bites get pus in them. Not these - it’s just a hard dark blood blister.
It must be either in the hay or from pulling weeds, I think.

Stephine

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The only bites that I've gotten that stick around for weeks were spider bites. Perhaps a spider? a mite? or maybe a tiny sticker/thorn that gets under the skin??
For what it's worth gloves, always have gloves and use them. I've got several pairs, two that don't have holes and a pile that have worn through with various holes. I keep the ones that are old and holey in the barn so when I forget to grab a pair at the house I don't have to traipse back to get them. LOL and as we get older (ahem in our prime) the skin gets a bit thinner and well - more prone to needing a bandaid 😉 . Get some nice leather gloves, anything else IMO is worthless -- Home Depot, TSC, etc - mens small -- womens gloves just don't have the sturdiness of the mens.
As for the itching -- check out the CeraVe Moisturizing Cream for Itch Relief with Pramoxine Hydrochloride the stuff truly works. And it's not "heavy" feeling.
Sorry I couldn't give you a why - but at least two other bits of info.
I was thinking probably spider… the ones I see around here are mostly the twirling ones, skinny, wispy with long legs. Do those bite? Are spider bites always two little marks or can they be just one? What I get is very clearly just one dot. I also don’t believe it’s a thorn/splinter type thing, because those tend to hurt differently and get fluid around them after a couple of days. These bumps I get feel very different. More like poison actually damaging the tissue…
Clearly I should be wearing gloves. Any brand you recommend? I have large hands, so usually have to buy men’s gloves anyway. But I can’t stand the super stiff ones, I need something that flexes better.

Stephine

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It could be a stinging plant in the hay or garden.
I have been wondering about that, too. But what kind? It would probably be pretty well known for causing this reaction? I am stumped. We are just north of the SF Bay Area. Only things left growing right now are black mustard, summer mustard, prickly lettuce, mares tail, mullein. Then of course weeds in the garden beds that get watered but nothing suspicious there…

R2elk

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I guess people fall under „other animals“? Didn’t know where to ask about this but figured my chances of finding out what’s plaguing me are best with the backyard herds crowd. I have been getting sporadic bites or stings on my hands. It is always on the inside of my fingers or on my palms so I assume it is happening when I grab something. I don’t wear gloves as much as I should… I grab hay for feeding, sometimes pull weeds or very seldom rearrange some bedding in the sheep stall with my bare hands. These bites show up as a tiny pointy raised bump at first, skin colored. They hurt itch a bit but not bad at all. Then after a few days they turn into blood blisters which get bigger over a few days. Itch is intermittent but can be intense. Then they sit there for weeks, changing color between red, blue and black, itching a little, hurting a little. Last one took five weeks to heal. Whatever this critter is, it‘s got pretty potent poison! Anyone else get these bites or knows what this could be?
Doesn't sound like bites to me. Sounds like allergic reactions to some plant that you are handliing. Certain weeds and tomato plants will cause those types of blisters on my hands in the palms and between the fingers. Wearing gloves and washing my hands immediately after exposure really helps.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I buy leather gloves at Harbor Freight. I buy several pair at a time, I’m kinda hard on them. Also keep a pair in the truck.

IMG_4934.png