Weird bug bites/stings on my hands

Stephine

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like bites to me. Sounds like allergic reactions to some plant that you are handliing. Certain weeds and tomato plants will cause those types of blisters on my hands in the palms and between the fingers. Wearing gloves and washing my hands immediately after exposure really helps.
Tomatoes… I have certainly been working with our tomatoes, thinning, tying up…. But wouldn’t I at least get a few blisters at a time if I was sensitive to them? Do you just get one for weeks? Plus there is clearly a tiny hole/dot in the center, it’s not a rash like bump… hmmm

Stephine

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I fold them together and stick the cuff ends in my back pocket. I’ve gone to town before with gloved hanging out my back pocket. LOL
I will adopt that cool ranch hand style! 😄
just ordered myself some leather riding gloves (equestrian not motorbike), those look nice and flexible. I know if I get the bulky ones I‘ll just end up not wearing them. And I do have thick heavy duty ones for cutting brambles and such…

R2elk

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Tomatoes… I have certainly been working with our tomatoes, thinning, tying up…. But wouldn’t I at least get a few blisters at a time if I was sensitive to them? Do you just get one for weeks? Plus there is clearly a tiny hole/dot in the center, it’s not a rash like bump… hmmm
Everyone can react differently. If I am handling tomato plants and fail to wash my hands immediately I will start getting the blisters within a few hours. I never expected them on the palms of my hands but they happen there too. I don't notice them until they start itching. I break them with a pin, squeeze out the clear fluid and cover the affected spots with Aveeno.

R2elk

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I will adopt that cool ranch hand style! 😄
just ordered myself some leather riding gloves (equestrian not motorbike), those look nice and flexible. I know if I get the bulky ones I‘ll just end up not wearing them. And I do have thick heavy duty ones for cutting brambles and such…
I just buy cheap gloves on sale at our local Menard's. They have thin rubberized, textured ones to thick heavy ones.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Like @Baymule I've got several pair -- and usually 2 or 3 that aren't terribly worn out. Even though they are the same I get the hands mixed up - left from one set, right from another and it feels weird. SOO -- I mark the cuff below the palm with a permanent marker that way when I grab a pair they 'match'. Simple marks a horizontal line, a vertical line, a + , a checkmark ...... and usually in red ink - it's quick and easy to see.
ROTFL -- who would've thought we could all go on and on about work gloves!
If you try out the work gloves I think you'll find they aren't that bulky and they'll last longer than the equestrian gloves - whatever you end up with will definitely help and you'll be amazed.
@Baymule I'll have to check Harbor Freight next time I'm there, LOL I'm always on the look out because as we all know mens small isn't something that is always easy to find!

Stephine

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Like @Baymule I've got several pair -- and usually 2 or 3 that aren't terribly worn out. Even though they are the same I get the hands mixed up - left from one set, right from another and it feels weird. SOO -- I mark the cuff below the palm with a permanent marker that way when I grab a pair they 'match'. Simple marks a horizontal line, a vertical line, a + , a checkmark ...... and usually in red ink - it's quick and easy to see.
ROTFL -- who would've thought we could all go on and on about work gloves!
If you try out the work gloves I think you'll find they aren't that bulky and they'll last longer than the equestrian gloves - whatever you end up with will definitely help and you'll be amazed.
@Baymule I'll have to check Harbor Freight next time I'm there, LOL I'm always on the look out because as we all know mens small isn't something that is always easy to find!
That’s a good trick! My gloves just arrived at the gate, so I‘ll report back when I‘ve tried them out… I do have some bulkier gloves, but really hate wearing them, unless I do stonework or cut thorny things. My hands are on the wide side (size 9) but men’s gloves always are too long and wide in the fingers, so it’s impossible to do anything a bit more delicate.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
That’s a good trick! My gloves just arrived at the gate, so I‘ll report back when I‘ve tried them out… I do have some bulkier gloves, but really hate wearing them, unless I do stonework or cut thorny things. My hands are on the wide side (size 9) but men’s gloves always are too long and wide in the fingers, so it’s impossible to do anything a bit more delicate.
Excellent!! I hope the work well for you. :lol: Men's gloves - yeah the sizing isn't the best that's for sure - and I've found that even the same gloves sizes S are not all the same. I go through every pair at the store to find the best fit. Now that I think about it some, I use them for everything - and they get wet from working in the veggie garden and sweat too from regular ranch work -- I wonder if that helps them become "the perfect" fit. Hmmm
The big question is why don't they make real work gloves for women?!! All I can ever find are the cutesie ones out of fabric with flowers and bugs printed on them. Basically useless - and fit even worse than the men's gloves!! I've got small hands too. HA - just a skosh to big for kids size.

Stephine

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Excellent!! I hope the work well for you. :lol: Men's gloves - yeah the sizing isn't the best that's for sure - and I've found that even the same gloves sizes S are not all the same. I go through every pair at the store to find the best fit. Now that I think about it some, I use them for everything - and they get wet from working in the veggie garden and sweat too from regular ranch work -- I wonder if that helps them become "the perfect" fit. Hmmm
The big question is why don't they make real work gloves for women?!! All I can ever find are the cutesie ones out of fabric with flowers and bugs printed on them. Basically useless - and fit even worse than the men's gloves!! I've got small hands too. HA - just a skosh to big for kids size.
Wore my new gloves all afternoon yesterday and they are great! Soft but tough and fingers are a good length. Yay. I am sure wearing them for a while will shape them even better to my hands. Let’s hope that’s the end for weird blood blisters!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The big question is why don't they make real work gloves for women?!! All I can ever find are the cutesie ones out of fabric with flowers and bugs printed on them. Basically useless - and fit even worse than the men's gloves!! I've got small hands too. HA - just a skosh too big for kids size.

Same thing with rubber boots. Women’s hit about 3” above the ankle, have a cutesie print on them and tear up in two weeks. They have thin soles that let you feel every rock. I buy men’s boots. They have thick cushion soles, come to my knee and are just better made.