What breed is our Harvey?

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Jersey?? He looks more to be a Braunvieh/Holstein cross, the way he's more beefier than a typical dairy cross, and got the white under his belly and the stockings on his legs...He's gotta have some sort of beef breed in him, and Braunvieh seems to fit the bill.

I was also thinking something like Braunvieh/Brown Swiss cross.

There is no way he can be a jersey, not the way he's filled in like that.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
WildRoseBeef said:
Jersey?? He looks more to be a Braunvieh/Holstein cross, the way he's more beefier than a typical dairy cross, and got the white under his belly and the stockings on his legs...He's gotta have some sort of beef breed in him, and Braunvieh seems to fit the bill.

braunvieh is a cousin to brown swiss.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The white can come from jersey, holstein, or the cross your talking about. He could have more than a two breed cross too.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
WildRoseBeef said:

braunvieh is a cousin to brown swiss.
Okay, fine.

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/braunvieh/index.htm

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
I'd rule out the braunvieh only because the rare breeds are indeed rare and not likely to be found at auction. Brown Swiss maybe, but he looks too short-legged.

Most of the mature jersey/holsteins I have seen just look more dairy than this boy, which is why I thought beef cross. The question then becomes what beef can you cross with jersey to get the white belly/feet/nose plus black coloring.

I think someone's dairy heifer jumped the fence to the neighbor's crossbred beefer boy. Happens all the time and they frequently end up at auction. Dairy doesn't want a half beefer. If the beefer was the mom, they'd let her raise it anyway rather than let her not *produce* for another whole year.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
bheila, do you have another pic of him at a different angle? I'm looking to see if his hind quarters are as beefy as they look in this pic or if it's a trick of the angle.

I still say jersey/holstein cross with some sort of beef thrown in. Many farmers have the jersey/holstein cross so it's very possible someone jumped the fence like imissmygirls said. Oh, we used to have purebred jerseys with the white markings so it's possible the markings are from the jersey side too.