What BYH animal(s) is getting most of your attention and why?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have 35 ducks , 7 chickens, 4 geese, 6 kinds of pigs(total with piglets 58), goats (two bucks, one whether, two pregnant does, one in milk with a baby doeling, three boy bottle babies we just bought, two milk star line mamas coming next week with three more babies), 6 dogs (three little ones one medium one and two bloodhounds one of which is pregnant with her first bloodhound litter) so to say we are busy with just one animal type on the farm I couldn't say really. I guess right now I spend most of my time with our pig moms and piglets (four litters currently ) or my goat babies and their moms(bottle babies and milking the other moms)
Jimmy is alway building stuff for whomever I tell him needs whatever. So that's what gets his focus. This weekend was shade and houses!
Feeding takes about an hour and a half in morning and same in evenings, baby bottle feeding takes 30 minutes, pens getting mucked out takes about an hour to hour and half each day, duck house gets done once a week that takes about three hours not including draining the pond and refilling it and doing fresh flooring so I guess 5 hrs each week, jimmy spends 30 hours every weekend from 6 am to at least dark thirty building fixing repairing whatever I ask.
So in mornings everyone gets fed and watered, ducks and geese get fresh pond water, ducklings get fresh baby pool water, pigs all get their water troughs and wallers refilled, goats get bottle fed and milked and alfalfa, bermuda and sweet feed for the prego and milking ladies as their bonus, in winter that's all twice a day, in summer I have to water 6 times a day cause our summers get in the 120's. Our dogs eat twice a day and they have a baby pool too but most of them drink water from whatever pen Im cleaning out at the moment throughout the day. My husband gets fed three times a day when he's home and breakfast and dinner the rest of the week, my uncle gets whatever bottle makes him happy while he sits on the porch and tells me the same story he told me three times yesterday. Hope I'm not forgetting anyone, oops the fish we have 7 goldfish that are now 6 years old and 10in long each they eat once a day and the cat who eats whenever she wants(her bowl is up high away from the dogs so i just keep it full) and the mice I breed in cages to trade for meal worms or to sell as pets I have 8 breeders and currently 4 sets of babies they get fed every 2 days and cleaned out once a week.. Oh yeah and I now have a bottle piglet in the house this week until she catches up with her siblings.
You’re pretty busy!! Do you eat too?? Hopefully when Jimmy does!!:)

MiniGoatsRule

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

Most of us here have some farm animals, or bees in some cases, and know how time consuming taking care of them all can be!

Just out of curiosity, I would like to know which of your animals, cows, sheep, pigs, horses, etc, take the most of your time and attention and why do they?
My goats are low-maintenence enough as far as goats go. I'd say either my dog or horses take up most of my time and catch my attention most

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m changing my answer now. When I answered a few months ago, it was before I had goat kids. Now, with the milking, and one goat needs put to the stand to have the kids nurse.....definitely my goats require the most time!! Hours and hours. But, I love them and I’d do it all again in a heartbeat!! But, next year we decided to push our kiddings back a month so it’s not soooo cold!! :lol:

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Chickens! I’m hoping to sell most of my boys and maybe even a few hens, because they take up so much time and feed. But it used to be rabbits, I had eight or more in the house at the same time, but they were pets so I’m not sure if they still count as farm animals.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Now it's about sheep, as we are moving paddocks every 2-4 days and learning about how best to do that. Sheep are smart and anyone who says they aren't has never had them moving around in a system like this. They have learned to anticipate the moves and are becoming more difficult to manage because of it.

This is when a herding dog would come in REAL handy.

Latest posts