What BYH animal(s) is getting most of your attention and why?

River Buffaloes

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Currently in New Delhi, India, originally Bihar
I have a few hundred chickens and also ducks, turkeys, geese and guinea fowl, they tend to take more time time than the water buffaloes. However during calving season and during the pastoral season buffaloes also take some work because you have to take them to the pasture and then bring them back home everyday.

Niele da Kine

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Since the herd here is to make fiber for Hula Bunny yarn, most of them are English angora rabbits. Which has an ever changing number, there's somewhere around thirty at the moment, but some have been sold, some may be born next week. Fortunately, there's a database to keep track of things.

Okay, I looked, there's 29 of them and that number could increase by perhaps a ten or twenty more by this time next week. There's not a lot of work to keeping them on a daily basis, though. Basic daily chores are to wake up, start the coffee and while it's perking, feed the sheep. They see us at the kitchen window and start asking for their morning snack.

The barrel of sheep feed is right next to the rabbit nesting hutch which doesn't have piped in water yet, so the sheep get their breakfast, the rabbit water is checked, the garden a brief watering and then the coffee is ready.

Several times a week, there's grasses scythed down for the rabbits, along with assorted ti leaves, mulberry leaves, etc. They get fed forage about twice a week. Saves on feed bills and it's better to give them a varied diet. In the evenings, on days they don't get forage they get pellets. That's twelve different feed dishes to fill although for most of the hutches the water is piped in so no water bottles or dishes to fill.

The sheep get an evening snack, but that takes mere moments. Their feed dish is about twenty steps outside the back door, if that many. I should count them but their dish is right behind the small kitchen garden by the back door. Once a week their half barrel of water is dumped out and refilled so there won't be mosquitoes in it.

As necessary, the bunnies get their wool harvested. That's an hour per rabbit about three times a year. They also get their hutches cleaned and repaired as necessary and new hutches always seem to need to be built. The rabbits are by far the most time consuming, but they're also the profitable livestock.

Hudson and me

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Horses. The chickens I love too but Horses definitely, you have to rug them, ride them (you don’t have to but I do), groom them, feed them and if you are rotating the fields.