What BYH animal(s) is getting most of your attention and why?

lyric

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to all of this a city girl from Ohio. Husband grew up growing and taking care of animals in West Virginia. Now we have purchased four acres and want to build a homestead. I need to learn, grow to do this correctly.

Today I have been reading about meat rabbits (Silver Fox, Californian, New Zealand). So, for now, THAT is what is getting MY attention. Hubby has some hogs on the property (for now we are renting while getting the homestead ready for us to move on to).

lyric

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Goats because I am trying to learn more about them. I have 2. Bucky and Cinnamon. They live in a pen with my lamb Cash. Cinnamon is going to be 1 year old on Good Friday. Bucky is 3. Bucky is the one that is on my profile .

Bucky is SO cute. :)

Daisy1702

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It wod be the sheep for me. While i only have to they are due to give birth in just under 2 weeks so i check on them 3 to 4 times a day and making sure their bums are clean so the lambs have flean access to the world.

BarnyardChaos

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It all depends on the season. Cattle, chickens, dogs & cats, occasionally feeder pigs.

Right now, with the heat wave, I'm spending quite a lot of time with the feeder pigs (11 of them, almost ready for slaughter) OMG the pigs and their mud!!! I was not set up for 11 of them when hubby brought them home from the auction. I expected 2 or 3. Their pen is plenty big enough, but we had to scramble for feeders and watering systems that didn't break the bank. I carry two 5-gal buckets of feed to them 2x a day, top off their water tanks 3x a day (and dump and refill every other day while slogging in the mud with them), spray them with the hose 2x a day in the afternoon heat, toss an armful or two of weeds to them over the fence, wet the mud holes, curse at the flies, pet and scratch backs, and don't forget Fergie and #31 want their drink from the water hose. Then hose myself down, hang the muck boots to dry, and go take a shower. Whew. Aug 8th they're out of here.

Next, it's the chickens. 38 layers and 1 rooster with 13 pullets and cockerels in one run and coop, and another 17 little ones in a separate coop. Fighting the heat, managing integration, keeping feeders and waterers full and moving them with the shade as the day progresses. Checking fans, counting little heads, collecting eggs, scouting for holes in the run fencing. I try to remember to turn over that board in the littles' coop to let them chase the crickets and beetles underneath. I pull a big clump or two of grass with attached roots/dirt and toss in there as well. Yesterday I collected grass clippings and threw them in the big run for a hen party. Today (100-degrees) everybody got a few frozen 2-liter bottles thrown on the floor.

Two bottle calves, 10-weeks old, get their bottles 2x a day (half ration) and grower feed in the trough, top off the water tank, check their manure for signs of problems, then rub down and play with them for a few minutes. Missy gets her belly, udders and legs rubbed too - as I hope to make her into a milk cow for us. They have a round bale to nibble on in addition to graze in their corral.

Finally, the big cows in the pasture get their water tank topped off 2x a day, head count and welfare check. Two heifers due to calve in September, two more next spring. Once a week or so I dust their backs with fly dust. They'll line up at the gate waiting for this. ;)

The dogs get fed and thrown into the back yard, check their water. Cats let outside in the mornings, and back in a few minutes later. Not much to do for them. Today I brought the dogs in for the afternoon. Attention, play with toys and snuggles in the evening.

Then the garden, if it isn't too friggin' HOT to go out there. Weeds. Always weeds.

Can I go take a nap, now?

Ctittle

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Love the question! It’s certainly the goats here. We have just a tiny two-acre homestead, and the goats simply DEMAND attention. Whiny creatures. 😉 Gotta love them!

Lucky the rabbit

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score

Most of us here have some farm animals, or bees in some cases, and know how time consuming taking care of them all can be!

Just out of curiosity, I would like to know which of your animals, cows, sheep, pigs, horses, etc, take the most of your time and attention and why do they?
I have chickens, sheep, and bunnies. I spend about 45-100 minutes with my bunnies, 30-45 minutes with my chickens, and about 1-2 hours with my sheep. The sheep are very playful and love treats.