What do you do about flies?

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I finally found permethrin spray and it works great. Tried others but they cost $10 per bottle and spraying a whole farm gets expensive!
What have you found that works the best for the cheapest?
That actually works too... But I usually use water with some bleach... It gets rid of them, actually at least almost a week, I can always do it again. since I just get those from the kitchen.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you can find their nest you might have better luck incubating and brooding them yourself. Or just let nature take it's course and see what happens! :idunno

Snakes cleaned out a nest last year. I gathered up a bunch of the eggs and a neighbor incubated them. He got 3. He bought 2 more at Atwoods. Then he started letting them out all day and not following my instructions, which were to let them out right before dark to train them to come back to the coop. Well DUH, they didn’t come home and a bobcat got 3 of them. 2 came back and got put back in the coop. He is letting them out now and his dog is watching them.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Snakes cleaned out a nest last year. I gathered up a bunch of the eggs and a neighbor incubated them. He got 3. He bought 2 more at Atwoods. Then he started letting them out all day and not following my instructions, which were to let them out right before dark to train them to come back to the coop. Well DUH, they didn’t come home and a bobcat got 3 of them. 2 came back and got put back in the coop. He is letting them out now and his dog is watching them.
That's kinda horrific... Snakes, I won't let that one take care of the issue. It might take a different issue on its own soon enough. :fl:fl:fl

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Quikstrike fly bait? I’m thinking I could put it in my feed room in my goat barn, so no animal could get to it, but hopefully bring down the numbers some.
I’m going to try the fly predators (I reached out to Arbico last week but no answer on their 800 number, and no response by email. Maybe shut down for corona? I’ll try Spalding this week). I got some Muscovy ducklings, but they’re still young (though I’m thinking I may let them have some play time in the goat barn where flies are worst!).

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't remember just where I read it, but read that feeding anything with molasses in it causes more flies on the animal. Not sure if their blood sugar levels are more attractive to biting insects at that point? Not sure.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That actually works too... But I usually use water with some bleach... It gets rid of them, actually at least almost a week, I can always do it again. since I just get those from the kitchen.
The most popular cause for flies swarming around your house is an infestation inside or outside your home. When you unexpectedly see a swarm of flies that means that hundreds of eggs have already hatched and grown into flies. The source is possibly inside your home, garage, attic or backyard.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I finally found permethrin spray and it works great. Tried others but they cost $10 per bottle and spraying a whole farm gets expensive!
Cinnamon–using cinnamon as an air freshener, as flies dislike the smell! Lavender, eucalyptus, peppermint and lemongrass essential oils–not only do the spraying of these oils around the house produce a lovely fragrance, but they can also dissuade these annoying flies.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I can't use sprays because I have chemical issues and practically all products are off limits for me. Are you spraying livestock?
The mixture of half apple cider vinegar (although usual vinegar works equally well)
and half water in a spray bottle works well to repel those pests.
You can spray this concoction around the outside of your building, on the legs of tables
that have food served on them or even around a house or tent on the wall.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
please remember, Excessive exposure to permethrin may cause nausea, headache, muscle weakness, excessive salivation, shortness of breath, and seizures.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Cinnamon – using cinnamon to freshen up the air, as flies dislike the scent! Lavender, eucalyptus, peppermint and lemongrass essential oils – they not only produce a beautiful fragrance by spraying these oils around the property, but they will also discourage those nasty flies as well.