What is a "puppy mill"

rosti

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@rosti welcome to the forum. Glad you joined us. Why don't you mosey on over to the New Member Introductions and tell us a little about yourself!

Thanks!
I've been stalking for months now, and joined a couple months back. I will introduce myself soon. :)

BrendaMNgri

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Goat Whisperer "You seem upset that I made a statement like that." No. Not upset at all.

Meanwhile, I posted my article for Dairy Goat Journal in another thread so people can read it. It sums up my opinion on what makes a good breeder. I must not be alone in my opinion or they would not have printed it, I'm sure…. :)

@rosti "Not all breeders can take back a puppy they sold. Life happens, and sometimes we are not in the position to do so, no matter how much we want to do so."

Good point. And welcome to the forum. Quick as I can be with a story of a placement of three LGDs to working home - a going adult and two pups - to what I thought would be a great home. Started out really good and the dogs did fantastic, saving a high powered expensive show lamb stuck in a fence, keeping predators at bay, etc.. Then the owner started dropping off the map. Became testy, temperamental, cross when I hit him up for updates on my dogs. Then he didn't like my blunt writing (I am infamous for calling it as I see it, that is putting it mildly), and dropped off the map completely - no updates, no nothin'. "Kiss my ass" kind of vibe. o_O

Out of sheer cussedness and because I wanted to know, one day on FB I PM him, hey, how are the dogs. Oh, just so happens his family is kicking him off the ranch, :th and he has only one month to get rid of all his sheep and must find homes for my dogs! REALLY? :confused: I about bite my tongue in half but keep cool because I know if I blow up, this guy will vaporize forever. So I spend money advertising the dogs, I spend scads of time and effort trying to find homes. No one buys. Not even one word of thanks from the owner for all my work. Then when I contact him after weeks, he goes into total meltdown, completely off the handle calling me this and that, on and on. It becomes very clear to me why he's been kicked off the ranch by his family - good God, the man is a basket case, coming apart. Oh, and a royal you-know-what hole, to boot. :rant

Long story short, tonight, I got an E mail from someone who says they have a dog I bred, and from what they say, I know its' one of the grown pups this guy had. So I'll call them tomorrow and find out which one they took and probably get all the details. If I'm lucky I will find out what happened to the other two dogs he had, too.

I could not bring the dogs here because - 2 intact males - it would have been a train wreck of blood to try to re-incorporate them into my (at the time) 15 dog pack. The adult female I could probably bring back but the owner is so skewered in his mind by now, I doubt that I could even get him to do that.

So @rosti is right - sometimes breeders cannot take back dogs for one reason or another because yes, life DOES happen. But a good one will try their best to re-home if they can't bring them back; I have successfully re-homed my dogs in situations (divorce, death in family) and other events. I know I did the best I could do for these three dogs, in spite of a jerk of an ungrateful customer who did nothing but stab me in the back for all my effort and for caring. It sounds like this one dog has found a good home and I am thankful for that.:bow Thus goes the trials and tribulations of a breeder…. :cool: ….a breeder who cares, that is! :)

BrendaMNgri

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
PS the Buckeye chickens and LGDs story in the Chicken forum? The two Spanish Mastiff siblings? Those were re-homes. Went to Barbara's place where she already had sibling pair from me. She took on "The A Team" Agostin and Argenta - and did great job with them. A happy ending to what could have been a sad story.

rosti

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
But a good one will try their best to re-home if they can't bring them back; I have successfully re-homed my dogs in situations (divorce, death in family) and other events. I know I did the best I could do for these three dogs, in spite of a jerk of an ungrateful customer who did nothing but stab me in the back for all my effort and for caring. It sounds like this one dog has found a good home and I am thankful for that.:bow Thus goes the trials and tribulations of a breeder…. :cool: ….a breeder who cares, that is! :)

I agree in trying to help rehome the dog.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
My family has the privilege of owning dogs that we can trace their lineage to the 1940's
I have underwear and socks that are 9 years old

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
2 years ago a family visited out farm
Their teenage daughter took some pics and wrote an article about us
It was published in the Goat Rancher magazine
So if anyone is impressed by someone having one of their "articles"published don't be

Rocky Girl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have no dog in this discussion, but at what time does a dog stop being a breeder dog?!?

I understand there's an inherent want for dogs to be placed in a good home with responsible owners but if I'm paying $900+ for a dog I don't want to be be babysat for the rest of that dogs life. I should be able to make decisions on my dogs life from the moment it walks out of your property it's no longer "your" dog, and if you has the breeder feel the need to continuously check in to verify that dogs welfare ( with some exceptions) than you didn't do your job has a breeder in vetoing that owner!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome @Rocky Girl! Glad to have you here. Why don't you mosey on over to the new member section and introduce yourself?