What is my buck goat

Hipshot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The buck looks like a Nigerian to me
Isn't that what the people you got them from said he was ?
Yes that is what she said . But when the kids were born she told my wife boar . I might be able to find out where she got him. Maybe find out from them. If she will tell me or remembers . She may have got him at auction .

Hipshot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't even know how old mine is, I didn't ask. I'll send her pictures of the little buck , ask where she got him and how old he is . I got home work :th

Bayleaf Meadows

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Your doe looks like she may be a boer mix and that could be why the kid looks a little boer-ish. I don't want to post images that aren't mine, but you can easily do a "Boer buck" image search and find out that your buck is not a boer goat. Size, shape, ears, color, are all wrong for boer and right for Nigerian. Whether or not he is purebred is something only his breeder can tell, but I don't see anything that rules it out.

Bayleaf Meadows

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Hipshot - I have a question for you- What are your plans for your goats? Are you keeping them as pets, milking, eating, selling?

Hipshot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am a farmer, and any animal on the farm is farm produce. These goats were purchased to get me started in goats . Seems the goat market is looking like, there may be a way to make a profit selling meat goats. Assuming that the approach might be similar to cattle. And that mixed does will be healthier in the long run than pure breeds. I intend to build up a flock of mixed does and use a pure bred meat type buck and sell meat goats .While building the flock I figure I'll change bucks often . So this one will leave in the near future . I only have two does and two doe lings. And they were sired by my buck .If I can find more does I will keep him longer . I'm not sure that Boer goats are the type I'm looking for . First off I keep spelling it wrong :lol: Not a good sign. And second I have read they are or can be a bear when it comes to health issues . I really don't know if this is true . I do know that the quickest way to lose money on any animal venture, is to confine and feed them excessive amounts of processed purchased feeds . I am the worlds worst at jumping in before I get set up for the animal . So that is what I'm doing now . Lots of fencing in my future . That's the plan. Will it work I don't know .I'll find out god lord willing .:fl

Bayleaf Meadows

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't have any firsthand experience selling meat goats, but a friend of mine thinks it's a good way to make some income. They are timing the kiddings to be able to sell young goats to the buyers when there is the most demand around feast days where goat and lamb are typically eaten. They are raising percentage boer goats. Some people raise Kiko goats for meat.

Hipshot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't have any firsthand experience selling meat goats, but a friend of mine thinks it's a good way to make some income. They are timing the kiddings to be able to sell young goats to the buyers when there is the most demand around feast days where goat and lamb are typically eaten. They are raising percentage boer goats. Some people raise Kiko goats for meat.
That's good information and sounds like a good plan . I will rely on livestock sales. Or try and sell at farmers markets or flea markets where I sell chickens .

CruellaAZ

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yes that is what she said . But when the kids were born she told my wife boar . I might be able to find out where she got him. Maybe find out from them. If she will tell me or remembers . She may have got him at auction .

Your girls are probably Boer mixes as they don't look pure Boer. The buck is definitely a Nigerian. He looks exactly like my bucks and I have Nigerians and am just starting with mini silkies as well.

Whatever they are you will enjoy them! The babies are gorgeous. My first door to kiss this year is still holding out on me so I live vicariously through others kid photos for the moment.

Hipshot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Your girls are probably Boer mixes as they don't look pure Boer. The buck is definitely a Nigerian. He looks exactly like my bucks and I have Nigerians and am just starting with mini silkies as well.

Whatever they are you will enjoy them! The babies are gorgeous. My first door to kiss this year is still holding out on me so I live vicariously through others kid photos for the moment.
Thank you . You don't post much do you . I would like to see some pictures of your buck . So stick some on here :fl