What kind of Guardian does your herd have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockdoveranch

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I love talking livestock guardian animals even though I do not have any. We solved the only problem we have had in all these years (knock on wood) with a certified letter to the offending dog's owner even though the sheriff told us to shoot their dog. I certainly did not want to kill a dog that belonged to a family with 5 kiddos, and I did not want to get a livestock protection animal that might kill their dog either. Had the problem not been solved with the letter, I guess I would have had to make some difficult decisions. I probably would have gone with a donkey in just that one pasture. I think (knock on wood, again) that our 4 dogs with their deep loud barks keep the 2 and 4 legged predators down. Out in our neck of the woods nobody ever gets out of their vehicles on other peoples properties without honking first and waiting for ranch owner to come out. Dogs are a big deterrent, even dogs behind fences.

I have done a lot of research on the web and through books on the subject of all the livestock guardian animals. The USDA even provides information. There are good and bad stories about dogs, donkeys and llamas. I love hearing the good stories, but am even more impressed with those who share their bad experiences, because these are the experiences we need to know about in order to make informed decisions if we are looking to buy anything. I encourage everyone to do the same especially when we are talking about a dog that is a LGD, hunting dog and fighting dog.

MonsterMalak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Rockdoveranch, I would advise that you take some time off from posting, and read back through some of your silly questions, and the informative answers that were provided. It is as if you were not even bothering to read the numerous attempts to explain something at a level that a rank novice could understand.

The Boz Shepherd is a dog from the URFA Mountains where it is called the GUREGH. People not from the mountains call the dog a Boz due to the translation of CREAMY WHITE, which is the predominate color.
Boz Coban Kopegi is TURKISH for Boz Shepherd Dog.
SO to answer your mis informed conclusion once again, these are the same dog, just the different names for them. It may excape you, but the WHOLE WORLD does not speak ENGLISH, and some things are called by different names in different places.
Do you UNDERSTAND!!!

I am sorry, but I do not know how to explain it in any more of a simple way. You ask the same questions over and over. Either showing your lack of understanding, or refusal to do so.

Please avoid passing judgement on subjects with which you obviously lack knowledge.

9small.jpg
PB.jpg
7small.jpg

Boz dogs at the Turkish Kennel Club Show Boz (Guregh) in the Urfa mountains with sheep. Boz at A DOG show in Turkey.

lgdnevada

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Nice post MM and great photos of some beautiful dogs. It will be interesting, the first ones we get out there to ranchers to test against wolf packs in defending stock. I think this breed could turn a lot of things around.
For the better. Run by themselves or in conjunction with more traditional breeds they can only improve the odds I think. We have a lot of exciting work ahead of us, which reminds me, I need to be doing that instead of spending time here.
That big presentation on LGD's I am doing in 3 cities up north is going to be upon me before I know it and my time is better spent constructively working on that. The sponsors are really excited to get the word out about these other breeds,
and so am I.....grin...... And in two weeks you have two more Boz pups coming in from Germany, whoopee....we both have lots to do and prepare for. Tally ho chap....I'm outah here for now till tempers cool and sanity returns...if ever.

DuckLady

Loving the herd life
Administrator
Reaction score
Due to reports, we are closing this thread.
Thanks to those who were able to participate in a civil manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.