What should I use to kill my rabbits???

texcalkas

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am so glad I've come across this thread. I'll be breeding my rare breed rabbits at the end of the month and am nervous to the point of being sick over knowing I'll have excess rabbits. My dad always knocked our rabbits on the back of the head with a 2x4 but occasionally he'd miss and hit their shoulders instead. I am considering the Wringer since it seems like it would be over instantly and there would be less room for mistakes. The other butchering steps don't bother me...it's just the knowledge that I'm ending an animal's life. But, I'll do it and have meat to eat at the end of the day.

mama24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm planning on shooting them in the head with a pellet gun before bleeding out. Seems to most humane. I'd do the same with my chickens if their brains weren't too small for it to work. For them, I just cut their heads off as cleanly as possible. I don't like the idea of taking chances trying to break the rabbit's neck.

mama24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I killed our extra buck last week. I used the pellet gun as planned and it worked GREAT! I feel much better about this way after reading from people who tried clubbing or breaking the neck and missed or didn't do it hard enough.

ruthless

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
mama24, when I look up "pellet gun" I get all kinds of stuff. could you specify brand and whether pistol, rifle, etc that worked for you? thanks

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are pellet guns more quiet than a regular hand gun? I may just use it instead if it is, we live right on the road and shooting within, I think, 500ft is not allowed, but if you can't hear it as bad, I could get away with it. Lots of hunting going around anyway.
Heck, could a strong enough pellet gun kill a sheep or would I have to give in and use the Glock? I know, possibly overkill, no pun intended.

zzGypsy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
secuono said:
Are pellet guns more quiet than a regular hand gun? I may just use it instead if it is, we live right on the road and shooting within, I think, 500ft is not allowed, but if you can't hear it as bad, I could get away with it. Lots of hunting going around anyway.
Heck, could a strong enough pellet gun kill a sheep or would I have to give in and use the Glock? I know, possibly overkill, no pun intended.
I'm not an expert on the new pellet guns, but I don't think I'd count on one killing a sheep. at least it would not be on my list.
my glock's a bit overkill (.45) but we've successfully used the hubby's (9mm).

mama24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The one I used is my 12yo son's Daisy brand pump style air powered pellet/BB rifle. I got it at walmart for about $100, but the pellets and BBs are cheaper at Tractor Supply. It uses metal pointed tip pellets, not the round plastic ones, I don't think those would work. My friend who suggested it uses a pistol that uses the same type of pellets. They definitely woudnt kill a sheep. You can get similar guns that use CO2 cartridges if you don't want to have to pump. The pellet went right through the rabbit's skull, btw. He bled out of his mouth, so it went through the brain and exited in his mouth or throat. He died instantly, just twitched a little. They are very quiet. The shot makes less noise than the pumping. Just a little snapping noise, not like a real gun at all, not that my neighbors would care anyway.

mama24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh, i would recommend a lower powered gun for the sheep, btw, maybe a .22? I imagine the glock would make a big mess.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd use a hand bb gun, don't want a long ol shotgun type for such a small thing. We have a shotgun, I forget what it is and the Glock. I just have how freaking loud guns and all are.