Where the h-ll is SPRING

Royd Wood

Reaction score
At last - we turned out the cattle Friday and sheep today. The pigs should be in the woods by next weekend and chickens in the pasture very soon. That was one mother awful spring and just wondered if we are all still around or did some of you go to Heaven on the 21st :lol: :lol:

Shiloh Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Wow, ok, I won't complain about the drought. Worst in many years, they say, and the last one has folks selling off herds they couldn't feed. No hay. And probably none this year. So I'm watering my pasture, which seems weird to me, but so far everyone is just able to eat.

Weather strangely cool here too. I was late getting the garden in, which might be a good thing. I'm just afraid we'll spike to the more normal 100+ before anything is ready. Who knows what will happen? At least the tornadoes missed me -- some folks weren't so lucky. :(

So I think I won't complain, and hope all y'all dry out soon!

rockdoveranch

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
Wow, ok, I won't complain about the drought. Worst in many years, they say, and the last one has folks selling off herds they couldn't feed. No hay. And probably none this year. So I'm watering my pasture, which seems weird to me, but so far everyone is just able to eat.
We are doing the exact same thing . . . watering at least one of our pastures. We had to do the same thing two summers ago, but it is not summer yet. One pasture is basically all dirt. I envision the Oklahoma dust storms of the 20s or 30s.

I wish we had a deep well pump like the rice farmers do, then we could flood the whole place.

Hopefully we can avoid buying hay. I am not a big fan of bringing someone else's grasses onto our place. We have had our sheep and horse refuse to eat some bales even though they looked and smelled good to us, and we have had bales will dried cow poo and thorny plants in them. And who know what parasites we are bringing in.