Where's the Beef?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ours is a mean snot! She is the bully of the group.

If that calf is out of a polled herford bull then I bet the cow is a Montbeliarde cross! Did her bag look like those in the pics. We've had herford/holstein cross cows and their bags are more like herfords.

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I hope I did this right????

nope no picture??? back to the learning board

beefy

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
LL's cow doesnt look dairyish at all. I bet she is a simmental x angus, which would explain the big bag and the strangely marked calf (especially that white sliver on the shoulder)

Kitty's looks dairyish. she has holstein written all over her face.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Mine is out of a holstein cow and bred to a bull with the Montbeliarde 4 generations back. She is also a heifer. Her cow is at the end of her lactation so she could be putting on a little weight too. How about comparing her to the pics of the full Montbelairdes?

Do you really think considering those facts that she is beefy looking? We've had herford/holstein cross that were beefier looking so, that's why I'm wondering.

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I meant to come back on he other day, been a hectic week! I had sent the man we bought her from some pics of the calf, and he still says she was a hereford angus cross. He also said, as "far as he knew, the bull was pure"/ AAAGH! so, not that it matters, becuase we "just" raise for beef, but all the other times I had asked, he said the bull was reg. So, I am betting somethng else was in there. Doesn't matter really, she is still going bye-bye and the heiffer calf is too. I know my bull was pure, but does anyone think if she (the cow) was bred to a different breed of beef, the calf may be more beefy?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't know. Beefy thinks she is a beef cow but, I still have to wonder! Those markings look holstein. She does look like she maybe a little beefy in the backend but, I have had holstein calves that look like that too. One judges more by the backline. I copied the image code to post here so they are together.

100_3341.jpg

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It's hard to see, because of all the winter hair. that pic was taken last week, and we are now up to our eyeballs (ok, 18 inches) of snow, so she is really hard to judge now. I will say, she has no muscling, compared to the other 2 calves (polled hereford x highland and P.H. x angus) her frame seems all different. But, as she get older, I will post more pics. The spring shedding will show a lot more too.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
kitty i have a reg beefmaster bull calf thats marked just like a holstein.an his momma is a red an white paint cow.an they tell me when i sale her calves.they have to have a hol tagg in their ear.

beefy

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
well just looking at the cow i have no reason to believe she is not a hereford x angus although she has more white on her than usual. i think she is just a light muscled animal. however, if she is half hereford and half angus and was bred back to a hereford i would not expect the calf to look like that (but strange things happen sometimes). a lot of people have intact bull calves running around breeding cows and just assume that their herd bull did the deed. could this have been the case with this calf's sire or the mother's sire?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The coloring could be due to a duluted breed (such as holstein) in the background so far back that it's normally mute point too.

Light muscling could be a good point. I hadn't though of that but, usually herfords are so beefy.