White eyed sheep

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I've never dealt with pinkeye, but it matches the description in my sheep book (Storey Guide to Raising Sheep). I'd treat it like that, and call a vet if it doesn't clear up soon. Good luck with her.
Wouldnt pinkeye be in both? I assumed this was an injury as it was only in one. But I'm sure treatment would be the very similar.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wouldnt pinkeye be in both? I assumed this was an injury as it was only in one. But I'm sure treatment would be the very similar.
I've never dealt with pinkeye, and the sheep book doesn't specifically say. It does say it's very contagious. I wouldn't rule pinkeye out just because it's only in one eye. But you're also right, treatment for an injury would be similar.

I came to livestock late, having had pets many years. For a dog, cat or horse, anything involving an eye is an immediate vet visit (been there, done that). I've learned with livestock, the owners are generally expected to be more involved in diagnosing/treating, for various reasons (lack of good or nearby livestock vets, difference in valuing pets vs. livestock (economically or emotionally), or just 'that's how it is'). It makes it difficult to give advice on here sometimes, especially when 'backyard livestock' is often treated more pet-like than livestock-like.

If this was my sheep, unless I saw an obvious injury that a vet needed to attend to, I'd treat with topical antibiotics and call the vet if no improvement in 48 hours. If I had a good client/patient relationship with a livestock vet (thankfully, here I do), I would probably call their office and say I had a sheep with suspected pinkeye, and what would they suggest? They might suggest something over the counter, or have me come pick up something from their office.

Ponker

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
There are a few over the counter pinkeye remedies at the feedstore here in Arkansas. When my little lamb Marilyn had a problem that I knew wasn't pinkeye, I used a terramyacin ointment on it twice a day for 3 days. She healed up fine although hers weren't clouded over like yours. It looks like the pictures of pinkeye I've seen.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually I meant I personally, me, the human, has had pinkeye in one eye. :) I have never had it in my herd. It is very contagious but I would still think it could be in one eye, or at least start in one eye.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Flush the eye with saline or a antibacterial eyewash (TSC has one). Treat the eye with terramycin.

It could be either pinkeye or an injury. Can be hard to tell the difference. Treatment is pretty much the same.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
For pinkeye you would have to separate from the herd, put in a place without sunlight, and inject antibiotics. For more serious cases, a vet may inject antibiotics into the eye or other more involved procedures.

Some strains of pinkeye cause abortion...

I do not know much about pinkeye, but I would *think* that if she did have pinkeye, it would have spread to at least another sheep, especially at her advanced stage. But again, I really don't know. I would separate from herd, wash the eye, give terramycin gel, and call a vet.

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you!! I will get terramycin gel immediately after work.I am hoping it is just pinkeye!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
That looks the same as our lamb when she had scratched her eyes and got an infection in them. Vet gave us Terramycin we had to put in her eyes 4 times a day for 10 days....they never fully cleared but she got probly better then 80% sight back in her eyes..she was blind from the white infection. Dont beat yourself up our lamb went from clear eyed to completely clouded in roughly 24hrs, it happens fast. Terramycin is used for pretty much all eye infections far as i can tell including pinkeye so that would be a cover it all treatment i hope.