White eyed sheep

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
i dont think the problem requires a change of sheep, these are more pets then livestock i think. If you can keep their face sheared down it will help and maybe look into ways to help get rid of foxtail.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wool sheep especially those with wool on their faces, this issue will occur again and again and will get quite expensive especially when the fox tails start to migrate into the eyes, nasal cavities, ears, organs, between the hooves, etc. . you will have to keep a sharp eye and at the first sign of any symptoms such as discomfort to check that area as soon as possible and take immediate remedial action. Isn't it about time to sell of the wool type sheep and buy open face sheep such as Suffolk or hair sheep such as the Dorper ? This type of sheep will minimize these issues but not totally eliminate them. When one lives in an area with foxtails this goes for goates, ( especially for long haired animals such as dogs, cats, alpacas, your clothes, shoes, etc., too.

You know, Bossroo, there MANY other reasons to keep sheep besides trying to make top dollar in the meat industry. While I don't have anything against Dorpers or Suffolks, I'm not likely to sell my flock of beautiful Border Leicesters (which my family has been breeding for almost 17 years) and Shetlands and switch to one of those 2 breeds.

Believe it or not, Dorpers are not the miracle sheep nor are they "the best thing since sliced bread" or what have you. Are they good meat sheep? Absolutely! Do they have the best tasting meat? No idea. Pretty much every breed association claims that their breed has the best meat.

The price tag is also an issue for most people. Around here, a nice ewe lamb is easily $500. The breed promotion has done well, but it has also driven the price too high. We know of someone nearby with Dorpers. I inquired about leasing or buying a ram lamb a few years ago to breed to my crossbred ewes. Buying was out of the question with the price she wanted and the whole deal was off when I learned that her flock has CL. Now I've heard that she is trying to sell her $100-150 quality lambs for at least $500. She thinks she can get that price because they are Dorpers.

You have a lot of experience and good, helpful information to share with everyone here, but please try to understand and be respectful of the fact that not everyone is in this for the money. I think it's safe to say that most folks on here only have a few sheep that are pets or a hobby for wool, meat, or milk production. They are never going sell their babies (or the producers of their favorite type of wool) off in exchange for a breed that might be more cost effective in meat production.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've only just seen this thread ( internet speed hopeless or absent here!).
If it just the one eye and the cornea appears opaque/white/bluish with eye swelling she could well have anterior uveitis (ovine iritis/white eye). A subconjunctival injection by the vet with oxytetracycline/dexamethasone should cure it. She may be temporarily blind and a thick skin peel off, but the sight will recover.
Pinkeye usually affects both eyes and the animal will be seen blinking and lachrymating in the affected eye/eyes in any bright light. It is due to a chlamydial infection (occasionally a mycolpasmal infection) and is very sensitive to a one off shot of a tetracycline. It is VERY contagious and it is a real pain here every silage feeding season and when there is driven wind and snow....often called 'snow blindness' locally. It can cause temporary blindness, but, again, is completely curable and won't affect the vision long term. My Blue faced Leicesters are particularly prone to it as they have such big eyes.
Purplequeenvt, I entirely agree with your sentiment. I now have over 70 sheep (a variety of circumstances took me over my planned 50). At LEAST 50 of them are truly pets and their financial viability really doesn't come into it. Do they taste good? Absolutely NO idea what lamb/mutton or any other meat tastes like....vegetarian for 30 plus years. Apart from a few ram lambs which I sell for meat, and a few ewe lambs for breeding, my little flock live out to pensionable age (between 10 and 12) and in the meantime live a pretty ideal life.

Reactions: TAH