Wildrosebeef - Armchair Cattlewoman's BYH Journal

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
elevan said:
I think I'll have tomatillos before I'll have tomatoes this year. :/
You haven't it pretty dry there then? I'm already starting to get a couple small green tomatoes already, and we've been getting lots of rain, so we may get a big crop.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
WildRoseBeef said:
elevan said:
I think I'll have tomatillos before I'll have tomatoes this year. :/
You haven't it pretty dry there then? I'm already starting to get a couple small green tomatoes already, and we've been getting lots of rain, so we may get a big crop.
Yeah, and when we do get a little bit of rain it evaporates as soon as it hits the ground in these almost 100* temps. *sigh* I really don't know how our grass is staying green other than it's natural prairie grass and is mostly drought tolerant.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you are having problems getting water down to the plant roots, you can make a water probe thingie. Any valve, with a female water hose connection on one end and about 3' of 3/8 copper tubing on the other. Turn the water on slowly, allow the water from the end of the tubig to wash the probe tip down into the soil, and then decrease the flow at the valve. (you can feel the water flowing) Do each mature plant. Let it run for about 20 seconds per plant. This puts moisture where afternoon rain showers never reach, especially if you have a soil type that crusts over quickly or if your soil is so light and sandy, it seems the water just "floats" on top of the soil. . Just don't over do it. Too much and too often can lead to root rot.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I bought a really cheap, confusing, and poorly instructed drip irrigations system at Harbor Freight for a whopping 6.50$.

After I gave up on the instructions and just did it 'my way' it works beautifully. There's a small hose that runs to ea. plant and delivers a slow, gentle trickle of water to them.
I turn it on for 30 min. every other day and it has done well.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
I bought a really cheap, confusing, and poorly instructed drip irrigations system at Harbor Freight for a whopping 6.50$.

After I gave up on the instructions and just did it 'my way' it works beautifully. There's a small hose that runs to ea. plant and delivers a slow, gentle trickle of water to them.
$6.50?!? Hmmm...There's a Harbor Freight store only 40 minutes from me...

Symphony

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
elevan said:
Roll farms said:

$6.50?!? Hmmm...There's a Harbor Freight store only 40 minutes from me...
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbx57/h_d2/Navigation?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

These look good.

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
I was very sad to hear this today from what I seen on the CBC Calgary Stampede show last night where they said no reports had been released about three/four horses that were involved in a wreck last night: www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2012/07/12/calgary-chuckwagon-crash.html

But I was also quite angry to hear about animal activists suddenly jumping out and making this whole accident an excuse to ban the chuckwagon races: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2012/07/13/calgary-chuck-wagon-horse-death-folo.html

It just doesn't make sense that these animal rights people won't accept the facts about these horses, how that nothing else can be done with them after they're finished racing in the horse-racing biz, not the chuckwagon races. If the chuckwagon races were no more, what would happen with these horses that are literally born to run?? They are not suitable for families, not pleasure horses nor horses that can be used for anything else other than racing, and most aren't even suitable for show-jumping or dressage because they're too "hot." And of course since horse slaughter isn't exactly agreed on by animal rights groups either, they couldn't be sent there after their done racing. So what would happen with them? I'd hate to say it but what would happen to them is what happened to thousands of dogs and cats that PeTA took in because they were supposedly being treated cruelly: all get killed. And that is just not right.

I know that both sides can argue the facts as much as they like and still neither side will agree, but to let them take control of the situation would simply cause a lot of unrest and even more disagreements on either sides. If they get the chuckwagon races shut down, they'll work even harder to get the whole thing shut down, and what may follow is animal agriculture and forcing everyone to turn vegan. That's what Dictatorship is all about, and really that's what they're trying to do: dictate everyone and tell everyone what to do because they always think they're right and we're wrong. It's pathetic, and just not the solution to all this.

And the Calgary Stampede wouldn't be the Calgary Stampede without the rodeo, much less the Chuckwagon Derby.

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
Pretty interesting night last night with being on a tornado watch and south of Edmonton getting into a tornado warning, with several reports of funnel clouds. Even today, in Vermillion there was several reports of funnel clouds/small tornadoes. The storm that blew through here last night seemed to make several attempts at forming funnel clouds, but the system was just too weak to be able to do anything. Got over an inch of rain though, and folks got 5 inches of rain in town. Some farms just west of us had a some big trees knocked down from the winds generated by the storm.

Haven't posted much since I've been too busy with my job and other things. As you may have noticed I won't be posting much here anyway, probably once a month or so, or if there's anything worth sharing here.

BTW I wrote an article on Hubpages on my resentment about how people are viewing agriculture from a financial point of view. You can read it here: http://wildrosebeef.hubpages.com/hub/agriculture-isnt-all-about-the-money

Anyway, that's all for now.