Wishful thinking?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Can you separate at feed time and otherwise just leave them together? Seems to me that ought to ease the problem of one getting more than the other.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Nother question. I have my goat always in the same pasture as my girls. IF she is pregnant, should he be removed at some time or is he ok in there?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
:idunno Is the goat causing some kind of problem or issue? Or are the ewes causing him some issue or concern? If not, then I'd say leave well enough alone. :hu

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't separate my ewes. I don't even jug them for a few days after they lamb. They have their lambs where they choose to. I have one ewe that will lamb in their shelter, the rest lamb in the pasture, in brush or at the round bale of hay.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Wow,I don't even know how ram was autocorrected to goats but, um, yeah, it was definitely supposed to say should I separate my RAM from the potentially pregnant ewe. I didn't know if the ram would attack the lamb.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I ran my ram with the flock for two lambings and he did not attack the lambs. He protected them. I am keeping one of his sons for one or two breedings, then he will go to freezer camp too. My next ram after this one will be a registered Katahdin.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I unshell the bucks for a registered ram, he sure won't ever have a one way ticket to freezer camp! LOL My goal is 10 ewes that consistently have twins and raise them unassisted. I have 2 ewes that do that and am keeping a daughter from each this year. I am excited to have them. It will give me 9 ewes.

It is better to be able to separate the ram, so that you can control breeding times.