Wolfemomma - Our Homestead Journey

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is there also a low gap for the fresh air to get drawn in as the warmer air goes out the top?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
As long as there is air flow from side to side, it is better to not have too much cold air flow from bottom to top. I would imagine there is sufficient air from the little gaps along the ground and where the doors open and such. My birds really try to roost down lower in the cold so that they do not have cold air under them. I always "wrap" the run on the couple of smaller "chicken tractor runs" that I keep the purebreds in, and can leave the one end open up high and the birds get plenty of air just from the one end. The coops are not air tight anyway. We don't get near the cold that you do up there. I used to close mine up pretty good in the cold in Ct., and they still got air flow in the cracks and such. As long as there is no ammonia smell, or dampness on the inside, they will appreciate the protection from the wind.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Is there also a low gap for the fresh air to get drawn in as the warmer air goes out the top?
Yes, there is a vent/gap type space that is between the concrete block on the front and the back, the run is not attached to the coop part, so sadly there is a giant gap all around the edge as well. I put the plastic up to cut down some of the wind because it is right in the path of the wind off an open hayfield I didn't put it up to make it airtight. Last winter in our old coop quite a few of our ladies got frostbite on their combs. The coop was very drafty this New coop I believe will keep them a little bit warmer at least.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
As long as there is air flow from side to side, it is better to not have too much cold air flow from bottom to top. I would imagine there is sufficient air from the little gaps along the ground and where the doors open and such. My birds really try to roost down lower in the cold so that they do not have cold air under them. I always "wrap" the run on the couple of smaller "chicken tractor runs" that I keep the purebreds in, and can leave the one end open up high and the birds get plenty of air just from the one end. The coops are not air tight anyway. We don't get near the cold that you do up there. I used to close mine up pretty good in the cold in Ct., and they still got air flow in the cracks and such. As long as there is no ammonia smell, or dampness on the inside, they will appreciate the protection from the wind.
What bedding do you use? I was thinking of bedding them deep with some leftover mulch hay that I have. Sadly straw is like 12$ a bale up here :O

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Leaves and shavings mostly. I do not use hay or straw due to mites and lice. They will use the hollow stems of the hay and straw to hide in. Years ago, I once had an infestation of red mites, they are barely the size of a pin head, and will suck a chicken "dry" and kill it if they get a foothold. Creosote on the roost poles helps, but they are a bitch to get rid of. They can fit in the smallest cracks and mostly will only be seen at night on the roost poles and such. Look like little specks on the chickens. Feather mites are different, but they will destroy a chickens' feathers, and that will make them susceptible to the cold. I use DE in a dust box, of wood ashes, in the house in the winter. I also use alot of shredded paper... Junk Mail .... mix it right in with the shavings.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I use dead hay, leaves or pine shavings. I pick up bags of leaves at the curb that people thoughtfully rake up and bag for me. LOL LOL
:ep what!!! so all of these leaf bags I drive by in town I could simply pick up and use as bedding for my chickens? I can't beleive I never thought of this!!:clapDo you just keep adding to it in the winter?

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Leaves and shavings mostly. I do not use hay or straw due to mites and lice. They will use the hollow stems of the hay and straw to hide in. Years ago, I once had an infestation of red mites, they are barely the size of a pin head, and will suck a chicken "dry" and kill it if they get a foothold. Creosote on the roost poles helps, but they are a bitch to get rid of. They can fit in the smallest cracks and mostly will only be seen at night on the roost poles and such. Look like little specks on the chickens. Feather mites are different, but they will destroy a chickens' feathers, and that will make them susceptible to the cold. I use DE in a dust box, of wood ashes, in the house in the winter. I also use alot of shredded paper... Junk Mail .... mix it right in with the shavings.
I heard wood ash works well, We took the ash out of our wood stove and gave it to the chickens and they loved dust bathing in it...until they knocked over the box every day :rolleyes:. I never thought about mites in the straw, it makes sense. We have never had a mite problem, and we have never even had straw on the property, maybe thats why we have been so lucky.