Wolfemomma - Our Homestead Journey

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Going to be in the 70's today, sunny and beautiful. I am sidelined with my crapped out knee and so pissed off about it. I can barely walk, it's gorgeous outside and I have so much to do! :he :he Insert primal scream of frustration here! AARRRGHHHH!

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Still no lambs, she is the size of a cow and can hardly walk. It looks like she is going to have 3, but will of course only have one :lol: I have to band one of our ram lambs.....words of advice? I have never done this before .....I'm scared I don't want to mess the poor guy up lol

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
For banding it helps to have a good holder. I have done it alone - but no fun at all. I have my holder sit down and hold the critter with critter back to holder's stomach. It helps to pre-soak the bands in some hot water to make them just a bit softer and more stretchable...not absolutely necessary...just one of those things that helps. I also kind of pre-stretch the band on the tool a few times but be careful cuz that band can fly right offa there, lol.

As far as the banding procedure you need to be sure you've got both testicles. If they have any size to 'em it may be easier to pull them through one at a time. I like to get the band up pretty close to the belly - but not so close that you catch a teat in there. I also try to make sure I don't have any stray hairs in there. Small issue with a hair being caught in the band when you consider what is REALLY caught in the band, lol. And, make sure tetanus is up to date!

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
For banding it helps to have a good holder. I have done it alone - but no fun at all. I have my holder sit down and hold the critter with critter back to holder's stomach. It helps to pre-soak the bands in some hot water to make them just a bit softer and more stretchable...not absolutely necessary...just one of those things that helps. I also kind of pre-stretch the band on the tool a few times but be careful cuz that band can fly right offa there, lol.

As far as the banding procedure you need to be sure you've got both testicles. If they have any size to 'em it may be easier to pull them through one at a time. I like to get the band up pretty close to the belly - but not so close that you catch a teat in there. I also try to make sure I don't have any stray hairs in there. Small issue with a hair being caught in the band when you consider what is REALLY caught in the band, lol. And, make sure tetanus is up to date!
Ok Thanks, I will definitely make sure CDT is up to date when this is done. I feel like it would be hard to miss one....they are pretty easy to see :oops:

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I feel like its been forever since I have been on here! My red ewe who took forever to lamb had a cute little ram lamb we named Raisin. I just love him!
Raisencute.jpg

And of course Olive's ewe lamb is growing up nicely.
Meadow!.jpg

All in all Im pretty happy with all of our lambs this year, except one that is banded lol poor guy but he should make a good wether.
Will be interesting to see how this summer goes, I was looking forward to getting out to the shows, but with the way things are going in the world ....Im not sure there will be any :(

Latest posts