Xerocles rabbit thread

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So....the two new bunnies got to spend 3 nights inside. So GF could "tame" them. They weren't bad. Just not used to that level of attention.
My justification for allowing them inside is they were born in,and accustomed to, a completely enclosed shed ....and home here is a covered shed with no walls. Fur coat or not, 27f last night seemed a little extreme for bunnies accustomed to an enclosed space. But they're in a main growout cage now, but with a nice bunch of hay to snuggle into.
Oh, they have names now. Elie and Arsene. 30 mins of GF looking up French names.:idunno
AND Cuddles (formerly Cruella) finally reached the point that I could pick her up and transfer her into Salvadore's cage without fear of losing any of my digits. Only TWO MONTHS of acclimatization. Not sure how the breeding went. Wish I had more experience. After first mounting and falloff, she screamed twice. She never seemed "into" it....couldn't really tell if she raised or not. But Salvadore was really giving it the ole college try! About 20 mins together and I observed over 7 mountings. Let you know in a month. Entered it in the computer as a breeding.

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well! Day 31 for Hunny, the NZred, who squashed her 1st litter. 7:15 this morning. No Nest, no fur. No kits. Belly dragging pregnant. Grrrrr.
1st litter...newby, confused. Got a pass. Second litter, she's beginning to look a lot like barbeque. Unfortunately the Champagnes won't be old enough to breed until June. And depending on the weather, it might be too hot. This rabbit program is getting off to a slow and rocky start. At least I'm getting a good supply of cold fertilizer.
10 days to go for Cuddles (former Cruella). She's so long of body (great backstrap), pregnancy isn't obvious. And while she has calmed down a lot..still not friendly enough for inexperienced me to try palpatation. Patience!

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lol i know that feeling my doe was due last week and yesterday she began pulling fur (tried to palpat. Her but nothing i could feel). Funny part is i rented her thinking she just didn't take. Go figure.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have two rabbits...old timers at this...they are on like, day 34-36? I’m not stressing....they are as fat a houses...definitely pregnant...perhaps they are just taking there good old sweet time? Only problem is, these bunnies were supposed to be ready around Easter...that’s shot. Oh well.... I have one..1st time false pretenses...neext...five dead kits...this time...still nothing and she was due on Sunday. She’s grumpy too. If she doesn’t deliver a big healthy liter, I told Chris he can eat her. I have at least 40+ rabbits right now and wayyyyy too much work right now. I want to buy 4 ducklings. But I don’t even have the time for that?? What? No time for ducklings...me?! Hopefully tomorrow, or soon you’ll wake up to a nice liter..plus, they don’t always go at night...so check throughout the day. I had one go during the day and she needed help. It was lucky I had checked. A big kit was stuck. Not sure how long. He didn’t make it, but after he was out, the rest come flooding out just fine! :)

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
WE HAVE KITS! Day 33. 7 born, sometime between 7pm and 7 am. All apparently healthy and SUPER squirmy (had trouble collecting and counting). Mama showed zero interest in nest building as of dark last night, but made a beautiful nest, and pulled copious quantity of fur (unlike last time with no nest and no fur.....she's learning). Now if she just avoids squashing them. Fingers crossed.
20200314_081500.jpg
20200314_081506.jpg
20200313_192808.jpg

Yeah, I know that last one isn't a rabbit. One of the Runner ducklings I got on Thursday. Just because.

Latest posts