You ewe you. Or-she's down and cant get up.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our vet is not familiar with sheep, but is a young guy and willing to learn. We have only had our sheep since November 2015, so we aren't all that brilliant either. We all just do the best that we can.

I am hoping that your ewe has pulled through the night. Do your best, sometimes it is not enough and our animals don't make it. We grieve. Sometimes they live, we celebrate. The up-down-up-down ride that is called farming has no equal. The highs, the lows, the devastation, the pinnacle peak of joy-this is farming.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lost her overnight. I wasn't surprised. Summing it up she had a perfect storm of circumstances. A mild anemia, a mob of 'mean girls' to contend with at feed time and a couple of windy cold fronts after weeks of mild weather. Not to mention two of the biggest lambs I've seen and a month to go before birth. And me. I should have put two and two together sooner. I can't stress enough about observation and listening to that inner voice that says "take another look". Also Maryland Small Ruminants Page was very helpful. I'm off to restock Med supplies. Thanks again everyone.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry. It hurts to lose the lambs, then a double whammy to lose the ewe too. You did your best, you learned and you will be even more vigilant on the next births.

The good news is that there will be more lambs. I can attest there is no therapy for grief than the birth of lambs. The ewe might not like you, the lamb might squirm, but sit on a bucket and hug a lamb tight. Say a prayer, thanking God for making you a Farmer.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry you lost hee! :hugs

Hope the lambing season is smooth for you and your sheep.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Five-ish months ago we had unusual rain, lots of grass. Ewes flushed so lots of twins on the way. Gonna be busy. I have no idea where the bold letters came from. My Android -I think we're breaking up. Or stupid thumb....

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
:fl no more issues and lots of ewe lambs.... Cause you know that we all love ewe. ;)