Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
76A82AE2-1DB7-47BD-A87C-D0FCE1F41A66.jpeg

They’ll be 4 weeks this Saturday

Stina

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
They're beautiful!!
I keep wanting to ask...which island are you on? I grew up on Kauai and it's nice to see someone else who lives there :)

I’m on the big island!! There are very few people in Hawaii that raise meat rabbits & it’s shocking to me, but I’m glad we can relate. You know the weather here lol

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've never been to the Big Island but I've always wanted to go! I thought there was more farming there than the other islands...I guess not!
My family moved us to Kauai when I was really young and I just recently moved to Tennessee. I've been other places of course, but this is home now :) I do miss Hawaii though!

Stina

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've never been to the Big Island but I've always wanted to go! I thought there was more farming there than the other islands...I guess not!
My family moved us to Kauai when I was really young and I just recently moved to Tennessee. I've been other places of course, but this is home now :) I do miss Hawaii though!

People mainly have pigs, cows, goats & chickens. I’m a hairstylist, so while talking with customers about politics & importing food comes up, I mention “living off of the land” & “doing more for ourselves” instead of buying from the stores etc. & when I mention raising rabbits for meat they are SHOCKED! After I tell them the benefits of their meat & using them for their poop to fertilize my garden, they ease up a little. But over all it’s not common.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's too bad! I think it would be the perfect place to live off the land.
I grew up on a huge farm and we grew all of out own food and raised sheep, rabbits, chickens and ducks for meat.
It was a ton of fun! I think we went to the grocery store every 3 weeks or so to stock up on things like milk, sugar and flour. We also grew tons of avocados, papaya, lilikoi, bananas and lots of veggies that we sold at farmers markets.
Kauai is a small island and there are quite a few farms there, especially right now.
People are always shocked when I tell them about the farm in Hawaii. Even my neighbor says to me 'you can't call yourself a farmer when you were living in Hawaii'...he just doesn't get it :hu

Stina

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That's too bad! I think it would be the perfect place to live off the land.
I grew up on a huge farm and we grew all of out own food and raised sheep, rabbits, chickens and ducks for meat.
It was a ton of fun! I think we went to the grocery store every 3 weeks or so to stock up on things like milk, sugar and flour. We also grew tons of avocados, papaya, lilikoi, bananas and lots of veggies that we sold at farmers markets.
Kauai is a small island and there are quite a few farms there, especially right now.
People are always shocked when I tell them about the farm in Hawaii. Even my neighbor says to me 'you can't call yourself a farmer when you were living in Hawaii'...he just doesn't get it :hu

Yes I agree. Hawaii is the best place for farms. But yeah, food, especially organic food is very expensive for a family of 5. My boys are getting bigger & eating a lot more than they used too. So here I am, raising rabbits & chickens & started a garden