B&B Happy Goats....journal

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
They will strike and consume warm-blooded animals that are of a size to swallow....be it rodent or fowl....if it is too big to eat, then they will strike in defense and if enough venom is delivered it will die....they will dry strike if it is not a food item, most of the time...but pulling back against tbe fangs releases venom so some could be released.....as far as cedar oil, I can't say....but if ya are keeping them as pets, all will caution against using cedar shavings as bedding for them or their food source...such as mice....since the oils are in the wood....it is what makes it aeromatic.....I used newspaper for bedding for them for that reason.....I know ya ain't keeping em, but only trying to answer your question with what I know....since I did keep some at one time..... :) ...oh eastern diamond backs get in the 10-13' size....they are tbe largest of the rattlers.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
About fifteen minutes later my neighbor screamed ...so I went running over and she had bent down to pick up a dish in the barn and was met by a 18" eastern diamondback rattler with fangs showing and tail rattling :ep..thankfully she had rubber boots on and stomped his head flat ,I was pretty impressed that at 79 she managed to keep her balance and kill that thing instead of getting bitten. .
Both "Bs" of B&B are some sturdy stock women!

oh eastern diamond backs get in the 10-13' size....they are tbe largest of the rattlers.
Wikipedia says the largest is about 7' (though rare at that size) which is WAY bigger than I want to see any venomous snake!!! Average length 5.6' ... which is STILL WAY bigger than I want to see any venomous snake!!!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well when I was in college a biology professor that milked vipers had a skin of an eastern diamondback mounted on a board....he caught it at a quarry in NC one summer....it was over 11'.....one thing about reptiles is they never stop growing as long as they are living.....every time they shed their skin they have grown....and rattlesnakes add a rattle each time too.....the average snake sheds once a year, unless food is bountiful, then it can be twice..... :)
rattler3.jpg....this is cause to pause....:ep

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just because it was cool, didn't necessarily mean it was dead. They are cold blooded creatures. 🤔

Man your neighbor is one tough lady! I. can. not. imagine. stomping a rattlers head. I have killed them with a long handled shovel, and a hoe, and they were far, far too short. Gives me the shivers remembering.
We don't have them up here. Supposedly, though I heard that they are getting closer, and they are up north of us in Canada. So I guess I don't believe they aren't here, but I hope I never meet one.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Huh? Why in the world would Miss @B&B Happy goats want to keep rattlesnakes as pets?
The warning of cedar shavings applies to all snakes and I have had some as pets....but, as far as rattlers go...ya can keep them and milk them and sell the venom for anti-toxin that can save lives....it does take many milkings to get an ounce, but ya can make $$ doing it...it does come with some risks however..... 🤣

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
this is cause to pause
Pause? Heck no - RUN THE OTHER WAY!!

unless our stimulus checks come and he can go to the pawn shop and buy a AK47 or something
I think for a snake you'd be better off with a shotgun. More chance there will be a hit on the snake's head.
Leon, TOO FUNNY!!! Say hi for me, he is safe; I haven't seen any snakes since last summer and those were harmless Garter Snakes.