1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Nice to see some Back Yard Chickens members here. Let's feature one this week. - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

B&B Happy Goats....journal

Discussion in 'Member's "BackYardHerds" Journals' started by B&B Happy goats, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Jun 20, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Herd Master Golden Herd Member

@greybeard , thank you for the explanation,.... "as always you are quite detailed Professor Greybeard" :old
    :thumbsup

2. Jun 20, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

Darn rain , it's making the parasites expode around here ! I am on day two of treating the goats, poor Amber who just kidded is E (5) on FAMACHA, she is getting red cell also, all water is treated with corrid and pro biotics, new mineral block today and I bought 150 lbs of agricultural lime, managed to put down 50 lbs while it was raining and mixed some in the sand inside of the goat house...I got soaked of course, and finally stopped when my skin started to feel a little heat from it...it is so nice to just be able to strip off all my clothes on the back porch, come inside and drop them into the washer and hit the shower......ahhhh country life...
    I have listed more goats for sale , at this point I am happy with all the ones that we have, but with neighbor getting out of "our arrangement"...I have to cull more as I don't have the land to move them for rotation. Contacted cow neighbor (he has like 90 acres) and asked him if he would be willing to sell one acre just for the goats, but he isn't very interested at the moment. DH doesn’t want to move, so I have to make some pretty hard culling decisions now . If we hadn't just planted all the bush's out front for future privacy, I would let them out on that half....oh well, the battle will continue, and I will reduce the girl's down and not breed for a year or so....
    Have about ten chicks hatched and following two of the chickens around, and still have two chickens that are sitting on their eggs.....
    Well that's the farm report at "The Last Stop".....hope everyone's night is terrific :frow :highfive: :bunny:bunny:bunny

3. Jun 20, 2019
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master

One of my neighbors made the same pitch to me not long ago, for a different reason. He wanted 4 acres. I declined and made a counter proposal, telling him I'd entertain an offer of $347,000 and throw in 37 more acres and barns and house for nothing.
    He declined.
    Not many are willing to break up their property just to sell a small parcel. You might ask about leasing whatever additional acreage you need. For what my neighbor wanted, leasing wasn't an option, as he wanted the 4 ac to qualify for the 20 acre minimum needed for ag exemption.

4. Jun 20, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

@greybeard, he uses the area to send his cows my way for my enjoyment....sadly he had just found out he has a aneurysm on his aorta and has another heart issue on top of that...he said he may reconsider selling at some point. I sure hope it is before his kids end up with it....he is a wonderful neighbor and a superb human being. ...I would like to keep him around for a while longer :)

5. Jun 20, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

I hope your neighbor gets to hang around for a long time. But just in case he doesn't, take him cookies, pie, brownies, butter him up and get him to sell that acre. Yeah, I know, I'm awful.....but I am realistic. :)

6. Jun 20, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

I am MITE-Y educated on mites now. Thanks for the information!

7. Jun 20, 2019
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

Maybe clean out a few feet of the carport, just enough to get whichever end of the truck that needs brakes under cover?

8. Jun 20, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

I have offered to go to Dr.s apointment with him and his wife as a third set of ears, his wife is much older than him and in poor health, he is 69, he said he was going to take me up on the offer...
    I know one of his sons and he is a good guy, I will help them as much as I can....goat noise neighbor has already lost 40 lbs....he isn't looking very good and neither is his situation....
    The land issue will work out as its supposed to,

9. Jun 20, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

That's too bad about goat noise neighbor. Even for a jerk, don't like to see anybody suffer like that.

You are a good neighbor and friend. Your neighbors are blessed to have you in their corner, helping out.

10. Jun 20, 2019
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

X2 on that Bay.