B&B Happy Goats....journal

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well hello BYH, its been busy here and many changes...I have four goats ( one pregnant) a pig named Henry who thinks he is a goat, two geese that I raised from two days old and a bunch of chickens and seven dogs...two of the big dogs will stay with me forever, Winston (labradoodle) and Jazz ( standard poodle) , the others went to Tennessee to live with @Rachels Haven mother , so all of them are ❤ together living a fine life....
I plan to continue breeding, but the new ones are toy poodles...much easier for this ole gal to take care of...
Having farm animals back here is the best thing I have done for many reasons, it keeps me busy again and not sitting around as the doctors wanted....I still fall , but the landing is much softer outside than it is inside !
I was out doing chores last week and was in the chicken pen and fell backwards, could not get up onto my legs, so after many tries, I crawled to the gate ( about ten feet away) on my hands and knees ...got to the gate and grabbed the top and pulled myself up....the whole time thinking I would be covered with chicken and goose chit...
Not one speck on me , nonthing in my hair or my clothes or knees ! ...lucky trip too, I ended up with more eggs than I had been getting and they were in the middle of molting....
I am going to try and catch up with all the journal reading, ... hope everyone is doing well , 💗 Barb :frow

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey ! So glad that you are back in the "animal world" and that you want to be there. Sorry about having to give up the big dogs... I think that they were for therapy type dogs, but if you are happy with the situation, and they are in a happy place in Tn then that is good.
Sorry about the falling, but if you can manage to get yourself back up and going then that is just fine. You will get stronger and that is good too, by being out doing things you enjoy. Sitting around doing nothing like the drs want is a crock..... and yep, falling in the grass/yard/pens is softer than the hard floors in the house.
Did you get affected by the hurricane much?
Hope to see you back here more.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hitForgot to ask a question...my stash of rice became infested with wevels, now all dried goods in pantry also got infested and promptly brought to the dump station....question is, what do I use for fumigation in the pantry that will not be too chemical, so I can restock it ? As like most people on here their was alot of " emergency stash " , I need to get rid of these pesky critters now !... HELP

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just toss every bit of grain products first. Then make sure to put all new grain products in either Tupperware or Ziploc bags. You have to seal all air out to keep any weevils out.

About 40 years ago I lost almost all grain and flour products in my kitchen from bugs so I spent a lot of money (at that time for our budget) on Tupperware cannisters. I still have most of them and use them for grain products. I open up all rice, oatmeal, flour, Bisquik, etc. when I bring it home from the store and put it in air tight cannisters to avoid problems. f I buy extra stuff to store for a while, I wrap it in Saran Wrap type plastic wrap and seal it up aiar tight. I haven't lost anything for years that I store that way. Another way is to store your rice, flour, grain, etc. in the freezer to keep weevils from hatching in the summer.

Did you get the rice from one particular store? Sometimes if you get all the affected grain products from one store you can trace the infestation back there. I had to throw out all my boxed rice stuff 2 months ago when I opened one box and it had weevils in it. Checked all the other boxes and sure enough they had all got weevils. Got all boxes from the store and at the same time. Haven't had weevils in stuff for a long time and ended up dumping 10 boxes. These were boxes of Rice a Roni that I use as the base for quick meals and just put in the pantry cupboard. Haven't had problems for years until a couple months ago.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use quart and half gallon canning jars. Bug and mouse proof.

Get Home Defense st Walmart. It’s for roaches, etc. ought to work for pantry bugs.

And I’m so glad you’re back! You need animals like you need breathing. Your herd is sized to what you can handle. Do you use a walker outside? Since my knee surgery I use one with 4 wheels and a seat so I can sit down if I get tired. I can also carry stuff on the seat. I also have a wagon for feed buckets. My friend Chris is feeding for me this month, but I’ll be back in the swing of things before too long. Right now the walker helps me reclaim part of my life and be outside. The wagon makes things easier than carrying buckets. Even Chris is using it.

Last edited:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
So glad to see you here Barb!

my stash of rice became infested with wevels, now all dried goods in pantry also got infested and promptly brought to the dump station
I have no answer to your question but couldn't the chickens have eaten everything instead of taking it to the dump? I'm sure a chicken isn't above eating a weevil ;)

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Feed it all to the chickens, the extra protein will do them good. I also use glass storage... I get gallon jars from some of the deli's that have pickles or something... restaurants are a good source too. I also use 1/2 gallon canning jars. I also have and use alot of the food saver vacuum storage containers... it sucks the air out and they keep good. If something does hatch out it stays in one jar.

I also keep and use Black Flag Pantry Moth traps. I get them at Lowes... there is another brand that I have used but the little "lure" that is supposed to attract them doesn't seem near as good. These simply catch all the moths that have hatched as they are attracted to the "pheromone lure" and they get stuck on the sticky part... like sticky traps for mice... they work fantastic to catch the adult moths that seem to come out of no where and you can't find the stupid source of them. The package says they are good for 3 months but I leave them there for up to 6 months.
I too don't want to use any chemicals if I can get away from it. At least with these black flag sticky traps, the moths can't go and lay more eggs anywhere.

Latest posts