Baymule’s 4th Lambing

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bay is probably waiting on me for a time frame and I haven't been firm on that. I'm still trying to decide on what to do with Maisy when I take her best friend away since she is my baby. :)

Seriously not but we need to firm up something so it works for all.
In the mean time I have a ram, so not really worried about it. I guess you will just have to send Maisy with Ringo so she doesn't miss her best friend!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maisy isn't going anywhere other than my living room when she gets too tired of being a guardian. :)

I have had a lot of dogs over the years but this one is going to stay with me in spite of how much she loves Ringo. :)
That is exactly what I expected you to say!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Isn't it amazing how those giant guardian dogs can be so calm and quiet in the house? They take up all the space on the floor in the family room but we forget they are actually in the house until they hear something and give the alarm as they leap to the door!

We leap too! Straight up in the air from the couch where we are sitting watching TV! :gig It is a shock to suddenly hear those big aggressive barks coming from right under our feet. Eek! I'm glad we don't have heart conditions.

3 days to go for Bay's ewe to lamb. We get to see who called it - # of lambs and due date.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
B I G twins.....and here's a hoping for ewe lambs.

I'd say watch that udder, though. Sometimes the teats on those whoppers get very swollen and too big for the lambs to suckle. Simple solution....milk her into a clean jug until the teats are lamb-mouth sized and then freeze the colostrum from the jug in case you need some for ewes who don't produce enough/orphans etc.

I had a ewe a couple of years back where the udder was vast......but no milk. Vet. reckoned that there was fibrous tissue in there and we tried oxytocin injections without success.....had to bottle feed the lambs. This situation is rare, and that should be just one very 'milky' ewe.

Last edited:

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you ever thought of milking Miranda? I know they aren't dairy sheep, just curious.
I was thinking the same thing. But, I know in the past Bay has said she wasn't much interested in milking her sheep. I've heard that sheep's milk is good, and I would live to try some. Hint hint. :lol: Who knows, maybe Miranda will surprise you & calm down after this lambing. :fl

I have a suggestion. If she has a ewe lamb, let her nurse off mama, but also give her at least one bottle a day. Then, when she starts lambing, hopefully, she will have Miranda's udder & will give you LOTS of milk. As much as y'all like goat's milk, you should at least give it a try.

We did that with Faith & Hope, and they are both friendlier than their mama was.

Latest posts