Best treats for sheep?

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Mine love fig Newton’s, too, as well as animal crackers, corn, sunflower seeds...they’ll even try to steal dog and chicken food if they get the chance!

black_cat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We ended up with peanut butter apples for the sheep today.....all I've gotta say is they'd better like them!! I hate peanut butter and am apparently awful at putting it on apples.......it got all over my hands :sick We don't have any fig newtons or animal crackers at the moment, so I couldn't try those. Everything is set up tonight because I have to go early in the morning.......scrambled egg for chickens (we have soooo many eggs), banana for peacocks, and peanut butter apple for sheepies.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mine love fig Newton’s, too, as well as animal crackers, corn, sunflower seeds...they’ll even try to steal dog and chicken food if they get the chance!

I was taking a bucket full of chicken bones to the dog today and my oldest sheep ran over and grabbed some chicken scraps and ate them. She's done that before too.....ICK. Anything in a bucket seems to be fair game to them!

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sheep love anything sweet. Also they love bread. So any old sweet biscuits, cakes, bread etc etc. Though some individual sheep dislike certain things, most will eat any and every offered.

black_cat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I think that they were a bit suspicious of my treats........but they did come right up to me when I was going to get their hay, and also later when I went to give them the apples. One (I think her name is Lena, but she looks the same as Tina, so could be either) really liked them, and ended up eating all of them. The others sniffed at my hands and at the apples, but never ate them. I think that next time I'll try some bread or some sort of cracker, but I don't have animal crackers, or fig newtons.

black_cat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I think that they were a bit suspicious of my treats........but they did come right up to me when I was going to get their hay, and also later when I went to give them the apples. One (I think her name is Lena, but she looks the same as Tina, so could be either) really liked them, and ended up eating all of them. The others sniffed at my hands and at the apples, but never ate them. I think that next time I'll try some bread or some sort of cracker, but I don't have animal crackers, or fig newtons.
Maybe I'll try the corn. I think we have some. @Baymule , can they eat the whole cob, or just the corn off it? Do you slice it up? Or just leave it normal?

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sheep are absolutely terrifying at night when it's foggy. Why do they get 50lbs bigger in the dark????
Because it’s funny scaring the hummies! I started with three black goats, who loved peering out from under the porch at night. For someone who wasn’t used to outdoor animals it was spooky lol! Deer corn would work for sheep, and it’s a lot cleaner. Mine love animal crackers, tortilla chips or basically anything sweet and/or salty. Bread, buns, cookies, crackers, tortillas, sweet feed. Basically breadish or carby items. Also, try squatting when feeding them if you’re not afraid, for some reason animals tend to be more comfortable with that.

black_cat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oooooooooooooh maybe I'll try some peanut butter on bread