bethh Life on the Funny Farm

GardnerHomestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Tipsy finally kidded this morning. She had a buckling that I’m calling Pip Squeak, “Squeakers”. She also had a doeling that didn’t make it. I’m not sure what happened. She looked small and was very contorted in the position that I found her. She was fully formed and didn’t look like there were any structural issues. The way she was laying her head was twisted all around. I thought I got a picture for help but didn’t.
Squeakers was shivering when he was born and Tipsy wasn’t interested in him. We brought him in, wrapped in towels, syringe fed him her colostrum and have a heater blowing on him. He just took about 2 ounces from a bottle.
I’d prefer mom raise him but he’s so tiny. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’m glad this kidding season is over.
Now for what y’all are really interested in... I'll have to post from my phone. Pics haven't transferred to the computer yet.
Sorry it was a hard delivery, i had a crash course in bottle babies this past spring and one was very tiny, she is still so petite compared to her brothers. Keep him warm, i checked temps often that first night (over 102), because they wont eat if not warm enough. Such a sweet baby. Once hes strong enough get him on a bottle of colustrum for at least a few days, then switch to whole cows milk. my doe straight up refused her baby and I didnt have the know how to mess with her. But if i were to do it again i would try and make them bond, holding the mom while he nursed once hes strong enough. She might accept him after a few tries.

GardnerHomestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Tipsy's second day on the milk stand. I was able to milk out 8ounces. I lost a little. I have nothing to compare this to. How does it compare to your first freshening nigerian dwarf does? Just curious.
In the colostrum stage you wont get a whole lot, i was barely getting a cup from my mama goat twice a day, i milked another doe after her kids were weaned and was getting over 42oz a day. So the milk supply changes to meet the kids need. Milk her often even though you arent getting alot. yay for the peeing and pooping, great signs :yesss:

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello bethh.. :frow
This is the hay feeder we want to build. Hopefully this weekend :fl
IMG_3428.JPG

Latest posts