BoboFarm's Journal

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your journal (since you just started ;)) was one of the easiest to read all the way through! I can now check another off my list. :cool:

I saw the pic of your Rotties and I’d seen where you mentioned them in other posts. I’m fascinated with their tails! All of the Rotties that I’ve been around had their tails docked.

Figuring out a functional layout can be difficult and time consuming. We bought an established farm but have many upgrades in mind to make it more functional for us. Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn’t have been easier to start from scratch...

I look forward to following along and seeing how your homestead develops and grows! I’m sure the kiddos will really enjoy it too!

BoboFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Wehner Homestead I know! Some journals are quite long from those that have been on here for a while. I'm slowly making my way through them too and enjoying getting to know everyone :)

My rotties have their natural tails. Anja and Jake's mom was docked but all of our litters have been left natural. We've done a lot of herding and different sports and tails provide a lot of balance and makes for much better movement and overall balance. Plus I've assisted in docking (banding and cutting) and it's no fun.

The layout is tough! I am glad we're starting from scratch but it's still hard trying to figure out where we want everything, especially with buildings that aren't so easily changed.

BoboFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here's my idea for the goat barn for two does with kids and two bucks (or a buck and a whether):
Goats no Water.jpg

I really think we're leaning towards Kinders because they're smaller and dual purpose. If you look at the drawing on the previous page, this is exactly how it will be oriented with the buck area opening into the buck pen. There will also be an overhang for each side to have shade. The green, broken lines are doors or gates. There will be a solid door going from the milking/storage area to the buck area. Still debating on concrete or dirt floor.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wanted the chicken coop as far away from us as possible because DH is a light sleeper and any chicken noises (roosters) will be in the distance. I don't mind the walk out there when I do all of the chores, especially if I don't have to hear DH's crowing vs a rooster :rolleyes:
Are you planning to have the chickens free ranging that area? Mr. Rooster will crow any time he feels like it. I think the only way to keep him from crowing is if he is in the building and there is no light.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
My roosters were indiscriminate crowers. They crowed in the middle of the night if they had a notion to. The neighbors I have now a few doors down have 30-40 roosters (sounds like) and they crow most of the night and rarely during day. Some nights they're quiet, others they're screaming all night long. :idunno Doesn't matter to me... I'm old and don't sleep well regardless. I live in farm country. If folks don't want to hear roos or cows bellowing at 3am, there's always the city they can live in. :hide