kdogg331

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So either way I'd have to let her sit almost the length of a hatch? Hmmm, eggs seem better then.... since she's sitting anyway... haha

But then there's the problem of limited breeds but that's okay, I only have a couple I really want/must have anyway

And yeah i know but sometimes they sell out of certain breeds and i want more rare ones that sell fast

Dozclan12

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am pretty sure I have 2 girls wanting to go broody. Man, there go some eggs. I only have that small..Back Yard flock. :) Oh well, will let them sit for a couple of weeks, then it's off to the broody breaker. I find that letting them go broody for a while is better than not letting them at all. Their eggs just aren't the same for a while if you break them too early, weak shells..at least that's what I have found with most.

kdogg331

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Wow really? I had no idea that could even happen. Maybe I should stop trying to break her and let her sit for another week or two then?

Won't she get hungry?

21hens-incharge

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My broody hens still get off the nest most of the time.
They run a crazed dash for a huge and smelly poo then to the water and feed then sometimes a bath sometimes back to the nest skipping a bath.

Personally..... If you cannot have roos then getting her to adopt means you have the option of certain breeds that are sexed.
Hatching eggs some folks end up with mostly males and disappointment.

kdogg331

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't think mine has gotten off the nest all week except when I force her off haha and then she eats and drinks.

Hmm that's a good point, I hadn't thought of that.

kdogg331

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
And if I went with eggs, is it easier to sell day olds or started chicks? Cause I would want to keep 2 females so I'd have to keep them long enough to be able to tell

21hens-incharge

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That is the catch isn't it.

I would guess it depends on what the buyers in your area are looking for.
Here it is easier to sell 14 week old pullets unless I am selling some special hard to get breed.

I would say selling started pullets has always been easier for me. Heck people find out I got chicks and start knocking on the door wanting to arrange for me to brood them and then they pick them up at about 14 weeks. Of course they always want my Aussies. I would say I agree to sell about once out of 20 door knockers.

micah wotring

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The recipe is to fill the broody up with eggs (under her! Not in her!) until she can't take anymore. Then remove one.
Why do you do that? Just to find the limit for how many you can give her? How do you tell when 'she can't take it any more'?
Wow, I'm chock full of questions ain't I! XD

Duckling and Spider

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yesterday I found the day's eggs on the floor. so I left the third broody alone. If no one climbed on top of her to lay (there were three hens in there two days ago!), I am guessing she is now very serious.