CL... It's no joke

hollymh

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi, we are picking up to doelings tmrw, these will be our first and Im trying to cover all my bases and found this thread. Where/how can I have my girls tested for CL? They are 8wks, will that be too early? Thank you!

BlessedWithGoats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi, we are picking up to doelings tmrw, these will be our first and Im trying to cover all my bases and found this thread. Where/how can I have my girls tested for CL? They are 8wks, will that be too early? Thank you!
You can have blood drawn and sent to a lab; I used Sage Ag lab and have had a good experience with them.
They need to be 6 months I believe, to be tested for CL and CAE. 18 months for Johnes.
Do you know if the breeder tested their goats? You can ask to see the results if they did. :) It might give a better idea on what to expect for your girls. :) Best wishes to you!

rosti

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@hollymh That's pretty young. As BlessedWithGoats said, you'll have better luck making sure the breeder's herd is test negative. If not, it's not worth taking the risk, as I can tell you with the stress of keeping things separate, and losing my best doe to CAE, and as blessedwithgoats is saying, with CL. It's just not worth it-there are too many breeders out there that do test, to risk it with one that doesn't.

BlessedWithGoats

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are gone. Latte and the two other does were put down this morning. :(
Latte was a great goat; she's been here since I first got goats, was the first one I witnessed kidding for, and made it through last years rough times with the parasites etc. She was so beautiful, in my eyes. She was my girl. I will miss her.

BlessedWithGoats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you all.

I'm doing okay, but it could possibly be that it hasn't fully hit me yet or that I'm in that numb state. Latte was second to be PTS, and that was so hard. I told her I was so sorry... My Latte :hit

Latest posts