CLSranch a journal to compensate my lack of memory.

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Check out the one you used to work for... closer to home a plus. Maybe not the same money, but a job is a job.
I went ahead and called instead of waiting until Monday. I wanted to do a little practice at home before leaving. I figured if they needed someone they'd want them there Mon since it's only 2 weeks until Christmas. A good time to put the cross braces in the corners that I set years ago. :lol: :thYea they aren't straight anymore, after tying horses to them. But the dry grass and 35 mph wind say not today. I have a neighbor that also needs welding done around the house. I was getting ready to start that before going to VA.
So maybe a few defered payments and a little longer to pay off the credit cards BUT I WILL make it.

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Son said yes it’s Adelphi
Da*n. If I'd called earlier by a week I'd be working with your boy now.

Also I didn't specify earlier. The other company that's closer does have a closer job (12hrs instead of 18 if I remember right (it's been awhile) ) But they will have closer work later in the year

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We got another 1 1/8" of rain. We got more in the last 4 weeks than June-September. Finally got some in Oct that perked up the Fescue, everything thing else was long dead already. Was finally able to put some Rye seed out Oct and Nov. A lot of it didn't germinate until this past week. It's only 1/4" right now but IT HAS taken root. :weee

Yesterday was nice with 40's for the low and got up to the 60's. While talking to the wife, I said it's like a nice spring day with the south breeze, 60 degrees and green grass trying to come up. (Nothing is over 2".) Too bad it's going to drop 20 degrees tomorrow and we haven't hit January yet.
I was wanting to scrape out the dry lot pen for the cattle (3 hd) before the last rain but didn't want to tear up what I do have coming up. So they're just let out. I set it up so they can get in and out of that lot while keeping the horses out. They're mini's so a post chest high worked. It does save from carrying hay from the round bale in with the horses to the pen, but now they will eat that lot before it gets where I want it.

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@farmerjan I have a feeder steer or future draft animal that's a mini. So were at 75? pounds at 6 months. I've been feeding him more grain for a couple of weeks now. Trying to get the protein up before today. Anyway the question is after this morning he looked cold. I strapped a horse blanket to him and he hated it. Then he finally just collapsed, so I brought him into the garage and started the wood stove, with the diesel heater going as well. That was 10 am. I've tried to give him B vitamins twice in the form of a 5 hour energy drink. It's all I had.
The first time it just ran out of his mouth the second time I took a syringe and hoped it didn't go to his lungs. He was up and moving earlier in the day so I figured it wouldn't take but an hour to get him back up so I wasn't worried. The 5 hrs came much later.
I don't have a feeding tube or anything such as to force something down him. He's currently behind the t.v in front of the wood stove and still not able to stand even with me holding in my lap to get his feet under him.
I've shoved karo syrup down critters throats before to get them the boost to get up and drink/eat on their own but don't have any or a way to get it down him. That's why I tried the 5 hr.

He was constipated the other day which GREATLY reduced his food intake but always had hay available.
He's already getting bloated but has been moving his legs since an hour or 2 in the garage. Do you know a trick I don't know. :fl

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hate to say this but I don't have a clue.... any chance he has a DA???? I don't know if steers can get one since it normally happens after birth and a big "space" where the fetus was causes the abomasum to flip.... but the bloating makes me wonder???? If he were here and mine, I would have taken him to the vet... but sometimes that is not practical.... and I have no experience with mini's so pretty much don't know how they "relate" back to normal sized cattle on some things.
Bloating worries me...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Will mineral oil help with the bloat? I gave it to a bloated ewe one time until she farted out mineral oil, but she blew out the gas!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I thought about mineral or cod liver oil for the impacted manure and bloat but it can also cause total havoc with the lungs if the steer is not swallowing properly. At this point it might be better than nothing... the problem is that with an animal that small I would be afraid to tube it as it is not as big as most of our baby calves.
Warmth is the best thing overall so that it is not struggling to keep up it's body temp on top of everything else... any kind of liquid you can get down it as long as it doesn't go in the lungs.....

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The bloat is what worried me. Again I thought he'd be fine in an hour of warming up, so I didn't think he'd need the vet. We tied him up in my chair from the table and continued to rub him briskly, which I also did right after taking him in the garage. He is doing better now.
I don't have a way to give him mineral oil or a way to administer.

Ok since he was seemingly constipated the other day I just gave him an enima/douche package. It was one but I put it somewhere else. Don't laugh, I was just trying to fix a maybe. Also remember hay that may work. I was wondering about refilling it and doing it again. I was thinking of an enima as soon as I saw the bloat and remembering his past problem.
Ok you can laugh now.

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Still no oil and too late now to hit town. Also no feeding tube except a syringe that doesn't go down his throat, so I don't want it to go down his lungs if he's trying not to swallow.
What about another do, I mean enema.

Latest posts